=COUNT issues

Traun2445

Hello!

I am currently trying to add up how many incidents are created monthly. The incident is in column A. There are also dates in column A. I only want to add up how many incidents there were. I have tried many different ways and cannot get it to work!:confused:

I thought I would be able to figure this out, but I have been defeated. I have tried stating if A8<>"", since that is the first cell that must contain an incident number. But that did not work, I tried COUNTIF, COUNTIFS, and still nothing. I tried figuring out to state if it is not a date, count it, but no luck with that either.

Please help!

THANKS!!!

Hello,

Thanks for the input. I tried your suggestions and still nothing. I want to make sure I am clear and that the INC numbers will not include "INC" they will just be a number. I am still not having any luck. Any other ideas?? Do I need to separate my data somehow?? This is the best I've got so far:

=COUNTIF(A8:A1000,A8)

It will not add the dates since it is not equal to cell A8, but the Incident numbers change, so as soon as I enter a different number than what is in cell A8, it does not add it to total incidents. Cell A8 has to be filled also, it is the first cell of the spreadsheet, so as long as there is an incident number in that cell, it should add the total amount of incidents.

Also, do you have a reference where all the different symbols are explained?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hello,

Thanks for the input. I tried your suggestions and still nothing. I want to make sure I am clear and that the INC numbers will not include "INC" they will just be a number. I am still not having any luck. Any other ideas?? Do I need to separate my data somehow?? This is the best I've got so far:

=COUNTIF(A8:A1000,A8)

It will not add the dates since it is not equal to cell A8, but the Incident numbers change, so as soon as I enter a different number than what is in cell A8, it does not add it to total incidents. Cell A8 has to be filled also, it is the first cell of the spreadsheet, so as long as there is an incident number in that cell, it should add the total amount of incidents.

Also, do you have a reference where all the different symbols are explained?

What is the result/outcome you want to see for the sample you posted?

Upvote 0
All I want is the total number of INC's created. So all incident numbers in column A, only incident number, no dates.

I tried: =COUNTIF(A8:A50,A8="") I also tried: =COUNTIF(A8:A50,A8<>"")

Neither of which work. If push comes to shove I may just add in a specific number of rows for each day, that way I can specify just a range of cells to count and that would be it. Although, even if I decided to do that I am having trouble. My attempts above wouldn't even deal with the dates at this point, right?

To exclude the dates do I need to include today() somewhere? Or can you specify something like "date" in a function?

:confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0
All I want is the total number of INC's created. So all incident numbers in column A, only incident number, no dates.

I tried: =COUNTIF(A8:A50,A8="") I also tried: =COUNTIF(A8:A50,A8<>"")

Neither of which work. If push comes to shove I may just add in a specific number of rows for each day, that way I can specify just a range of cells to count and that would be it. Although, even if I decided to do that I am having trouble. My attempts above wouldn't even deal with the dates at this point, right?

To exclude the dates do I need to include today() somewhere? Or can you specify something like "date" in a function?

:confused::confused::confused:

What is the outcome for that exhibit you posted? 100, 2, 5, 7, or what?

Upvote 0
Is the issue here caused by the fact that dates are also integer numbers? How have you structured your incident numbers? A solution might be for all incident numbers to be greater than 100000 (say) in which case you could use something like =countif(A8:A100,">100000").

hope this might help.

Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Peter,

IT WORKED! Thanks so much!

Thank you everyone else you had suggestions as well. Your help is much appreciated!

How did you know to put >100000 in quotes? I see people using symbols and sometimes putting information in quotes and I do not fully understand why?

Any information would be great.

Upvote 0
Peter,

IT WORKED! Thanks so much!

Thank you everyone else you had suggestions as well. Your help is much appreciated!

How did you know to put >100000 in quotes? I see people using symbols and sometimes putting information in quotes and I do not fully understand why?

Any information would be great.

What is the answer of the question?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back