Error Checking in Excel
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pivot Table that just shows entries - no their sums etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Database with strings and dates as values (Features/attributes of platforms - what is/will be available when). I'd love to have a pivot-table like construct where I could see this in various views (per feature, per platfrom etc.).
    However, Pivot table insists on having in the Data some mathematical derivative of the entries, where what I want is the LIST of matching values.

A solution, or an alternative would be welcome.

Thanks

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use AutoFilter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-05-13 06:54, Mark W. wrote:
    Use AutoFilter
    Please excuse me, I'm afraid I did not make it clear. AutoFilter is no help (and BTW - I think I tried all the obvious things - I am quite experienced - but surprise me, please.)

Let me try a larger problem description:
    I need to track SW versions with K features (typically divided into groups and sub-groups) and implemented on X platforms. for each combination Feature/Platform I have a value that can be the date of release, or "is it required/commited/for whom" etc. etc.
    We are talking ~250 Features on ~20 Platforms.

Now an Excel DB can record all this as a table but is very hard to "get the big picture" from. AutoFilter can answer a specific query, BUT, The result is still a table, and moreover, most of the values are the same in many columns, which makes it hard to see where changes occur.
    (e.g. "show featuers for Release X, on all platforms, for all customers" query, will get me a table with same customer-value for all relevant features (say 100 lines) and then the next group of lines will show the next customer, for the next group of features, etc ...)

So, I want the "total by categories" feature, as in a Pivot table, which also allows the user (or at least me) to easily generate different views of the DB.

I created such a Pivot table, but the data is "count of" values, and I use it as a quick way to generate the datable entires relevant to each cateogry-value combination.

This is really (I think) a tough one ...
    Michael Orr

[ This Message was edited by: orr on 2002-05-13 08:44 ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I wonder whether, given a set of pre-defined queries, a formula-based approach would not be appropriate here.

Aladin

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others