Connecting to Intranet via Excel

Vas

Board Regular
I have a workbook with a number of links to workbooks on the Intranet. The problem is that you have to login through a loginbox.

When there are links in the workbook, Excel refuses to show me the loginbox, and instead shows a couple of error messages and then just put #REFs in all cells with those links.

My current solution is to have a "start" workbook, which first tries to open one of the files that demand password - so that Excel will show the loginbox. Then the start-workbook opens the real workbook, and when that's done, it closes it self.

I find this method rather ridiculous, so I just wonder if there are any other ways to solve the problem?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
G'day,

Do you have a web-query to that page already? I work with a few files that frequently pull data to a spare datasheet - these usually do toss up a pwd prompt when I try to refresh.

Hope that helps
Adam

Upvote 0
Vas,

is the password required to get into your intranet or is the password required because the file that is being accessed password-protected ?

if it's the latter, would removing the password-protection be an option ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for yoour interest.
Chris, the password is required to get into the Intranet.

Upvote 0
I wonder if you maybe read my other post, concerning the links being changed when i open the workbook via VBA.

Anyway, heres the whole story:
I have a couple of files on the Intranet.
From these files I want to make consolidations in different aspects.
In the cosolidation files i have formulas that link directly to the Intranet files.

When i open the con. files, the links looks at follows:

='http://violin.3p.volvo.net/purchasing/perf/kpi/sec-docs/docs/all/[actmac.xls]Chassis'!C$58

But if I haven't opened any files from the Intranet, Excel just says "Unexpected error", and shows #REF.

If I open the file via VBA the formulas look like this:

='H:Root28xxx281xx28130REP2002Actual[ActMAC.xls]Chassis'!C$58

(A couple of other formulas change too, they begin with p:/... and is changed to h:/...)

It seems like people gonna have to open a start file to log in and then open the con. files and then update them (I think I can automate thet part, but still) - this can't be true, can it?

Edit:
I just remebered that the "after" formulas is old ones that have been replaced. It seems like Excel keep those links and use them when I open the file via VBA.
This is SICK!
This message was edited by Vas on 2002-05-13 08:16

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back