Removing Spaces from a column list of emails

jschwak

I have searched the posts with no luck. I need a very simple program which will remove any spaces at the end of an email address so that I can copy and paste to outlook with no sending problems.

Only some of the thousands of email addresses I have stored in an excel column have two spaces at the end which I need to eliminate.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I'm sorry. I'm a begginner... is there somewhere that I can go to get a walkthrough on how to use this TRIM function?

Thank you SO much!

Upvote 0
Hi,

It's a formula looking like this:

=TRIM(A1) that you put in an ajascent column. Check it out in the help file.

You could also use Edit (menue) - replace and replace space with nothing.

Upvote 0
From Excel help:

Removes all spaces from text except for single spaces between words. Use TRIM on text that you have received from another application that may have irregular spacing.

Syntax

TRIM(text)

Text is the text from which you want spaces removed.

Example

TRIM(" First Quarter Earnings ") equals "First Quarter Earnings"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. The trim function worked fine. However, once I copied the new email addresses into outlook express, they still had the spaces for some reason.

Any suggestsion how I could remove these extra spaces so that I could copy these addreses into outlook express and not have any problems sending them?

Thanks, this message board is amazing!

Upvote 0
Use the TRIM function in another column and copy those column results to outlook express.

Upvote 0
It'd probably be a good idea to copy and paste special for values after trimming.

You didn't say where your column of emails is, so let's say it's in column A, beginning in cell A2. In cell B2, enter the formula
=TRIM(A2)
Select cell B2, and from the worksheet menu click Edit, then click Copy.
Select cell B3 and with your mouse, select the cells down column B down to the last used row of column A. Click on Edit > Paste. Hit the Esc key to exit Copy mode. Next, click on the "B" column header to select all of column B. Click Edit > Copy. Then, click Edit > Paste Special, select Values, click OK, and hit the Esc key again. Finally, select the column A header to select all of column A, and click Edit > Delete.

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I tried. The Trim function worked well, but apparently did not carry over to outlook express. Many addresses would not send because of the spaces. Looked like this in outlook express still even after Trim. (e.g. "name@place.com ;"

Sorry to be a bother

Upvote 0
Well based on that example do you also have a semicolon in there? If so, highlight all the email addresses, click on Edit > Replace, in the Find what box enter a semicolon, and click Replace All. Or, if it's always two spaces and a semicolon, enter that in the Find What box of the Replace dialog, click Replace All, and that might take care of the problem right there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back