Can you draw line but 2nd co-ords always centred?

tezza

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi all

I'm trying to figure out line drawing, I don't really mind how it's done, eg: grid making, graph plotting, but I can't get it done a specific way.

The data is simple, it's 2 sets of xy co-ords (of your choice, but it needs to change when the co-ords move).

What I need is for the 2nd xy co-ords to always be the centre fixed point whilst the 1st xy co-ords is the moveable point, as I need to see which direction something needs to go (both sets of data will be changed but 2nd point should always show as centred).

Ideally this would be something I can do transparent % on top of an image (ie: map) but that's not important.

Scatter graph doesn't quite manage this, I've tried many ways.

If the 2nd fixed point is not possible and another way has to be done the 0,0 should be top left.

Regards
Tez

will do later today as heading out now.

Does point 1 revolve around point 2?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
No this is part of the original request :)

Think of it like space, earth (point 2) is always positioned the centre of the screen and point 1 could be 'anywhere' else in space, I need a line to indicate which direction you would have to go from point 1 to point 2 but in 2D not 3D.

cheers

Upvote 0
I have done the line - it joins point 1 to point 2 so from either end of the line you have the direction of the other point

Upvote 0
Yes, I am able to create a line but when when co-ords 1 are say greater than co-ords 2 then the line creates a starting point from point 2 which places point 1 as the destination which is not what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for trying though.

Upvote 0
I must be missing something - a line between 2 points does not have a start UNLESS the line has an arrowhead....

Upvote 0
The arrow head would be useful too and that will be the next step.

Here's the setup

Top Left 0,0
Bottom Right 1377,417

First co-ords = start point
Second co-ords = end point

I don't mind which was it is achieved I required a line to show the direction you have to travel to get from point 1 to 2, point 2 could be above, below, ahead or behind point 1

My graph line 0,0 starts a bottom left which throws off the line from the start as it's positioned wrong.

Upvote 0
it is because you want 0,0 to be top left - the work round is to have each axis from -1500 to +1500 with the intersection at 0,0

excel charts are set up to have the axis ascending....

then your line can take any direction from 0,0

Upvote 0
The line drawn using the same points still goes in the same direction.

Are you able to create a line using point 1 as 0,0 and point 2 as 100,100 that goes from left to right at a downward 45 degree angle \ ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back