For Each question

jcvoth

Board Regular
Greetings all!

I am having a problem with a loop and I hope someone can help.

Essentially, my goal is this. When a command button is clicked, the user is prompted to enter a 3 digit code. When that code is entered, the macro will search through the list of data and put a 1 in a cell for the row that contains the code and do nothing to the rows that contain a different code. I am close, but for some reason, the value does not seem to equal the information I entered in the inputbox. My theory is that I need to format the result from the inputbox to equal the format in the row data, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Below is the code I have so far. (I have commented out the pieces that are not relevant to this portion of the testing)

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> discprice()
mytimer = Timer
master = "E:\Sales Accounting\D F I\DFI Master File.xls"
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Workbooks.Open Filename:=(master)</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'ActiveWindow.ActivateNext</SPAN>
lastrow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
cctr = InputBox("What Cost Center should be updated?")
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Set lookuprange = Workbooks("DFI Master File.xls").Worksheets("Price Lists").Range("a2:e9000")</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lastrow

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Range("v" & i).Value <> cctr <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> Range("H" & i).Value = 0

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Workbooks("DFI Master File.xls").Close SaveChanges:=False</SPAN>
MsgBox ("It took " & Timer - mytimer & " seconds to update the discount price for " & cctr & "." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "You have " & lastrow - 1 & " records in this file.")
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Jarrod

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try declaring your variables at the beginning of your code (which is something you should be doing anyway!).

i.e.

Dim cctr as String

or

Dim cctr as Integer

Upvote 0
Brilliant!

Although I am a little embarassed it was something so simple as a variable declaration... :oops:

Thank you!
-Jarrod

Upvote 0
As you get more into programming, you may want to "force" yourself to declare all variables by turning on the "Option Explicit" command. It may seem like a nuisance in the beginning, but most experienced programmers will tell you that it saves a lot of trouble when trying to debug code (especially if you have a lot of code)!

For a good write-up on the benefits of this, check out Tom Urtis's response in this thread: http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=51854&highlight=option+explicit

Good luck and happy Excel-ling! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back