Opening Excel Files

TODDMS

For some reason, on my PC, I cannot open Excel files by double clicking. It say 'cannot find file...' I can only open up files by opening them directly from Excel. This is not the case with Word files.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Go to STARTSETTINGSFOLDER OPTIONS. Under the FILE TYPE tab check for Microsoft Excel worksheet. Highlight that entry and choose EDIT. There will be an option there to OPEN the file. Edit that option and you will probably find an incorrect path to excel in there. Edit the path, or choose Browse from the menu and direct it to the excel.exe file.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Upvote 0
Open Windows Explorer and right click on the Excel .xls file that you want to open. Select "open with" and scroll down the list and select Microsoft Excel. Check the box to "Always use this program to open these files". Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Try Tools-Options, General tab. Remove checkbox from *ignore other applications*.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back