Countifs / sumproduct...

poolio

I think I am looking for a relatively simple countif output, but stuggling to type it up...

Basically I've got a load of football results in neighbouring columns: Home score | Away score | Home score | Away score | Home score | Away score | etc... (B6 | C6 | D6 | E6 etc...)

I want to report in a column at the end the number of times the Home Score is Greater than the Away Score (and Vice Versa)...

My Header Row (A5:D5 above the scores) are numbered alternating 5 | 6 | 5 | 6..

So I'm trying to input a formula which looks to see if the values in the columns headed 5 are greater than their neighbours, headed 6...

Does this need an Array Formula - something like this??

{COUNTIF(A6:D6,((A5:D5=5)>(A5:D5=6)))} ???

JP

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
My Header Row (A5:D5 above the scores) are numbered alternating 5 | 6 | 5 | 6..

So I'm trying to input a formula which looks to see if the values in the columns headed 5 are greater than their neighbours, headed 6...

Maybe...
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A6:C6>B6:D6),--(A5:C5=5))

M.

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin. Can you explain why the +0 is necessary? Is it to ensure the data is recognised as a number? If so why not use the VALUE function? Always appreciate your input. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys...
Marcelo's solution works! :ROFLMAO:
I think Aladin's method fails as it compares the Home with the Away Result (as I wanted), but then also compares that Away results with the next Home result... thus counting some noe results.
e.g. There are 2 results here, 3-2 and 1-0, thus there are 2 "home wins".
Marco's system would see; 3 > 2, 2 > 1 and 1> 0, i.e. 3 "home wins".
5 | 6 | 5 | 6
3 | 2 | 1 | 0

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin. Can you explain why the +0 is necessary? Is it to ensure the data is recognised as a number? If so why not use the VALUE function? Always appreciate your input. Thanks.

1. A relational comparison (with >, <, so on) delivers either a TRUE or a FALSE.

2. SUMPRODUCT works (needs) only with numbers.

3. An operator like + acts as a coercer.

4. TRUE+0 ==> 1; FALSE+0 ==> 0. (By the way, TRUE is 1 and FALSE is 0 in Excel.)

5. Hence +0. That is, all comparison results are transformed (coerced) into 1's and 0's.

6. SUMPRODUCT sums those 1's and 0's. The sum that obtains is effectively the count we are looking for.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys...
Marcelo's solution works! :ROFLMAO:
I think Aladin's method fails as it compares the Home with the Away Result (as I wanted), but then also compares that Away results with the next Home result... thus counting some noe results.
e.g. There are 2 results here, 3-2 and 1-0, thus there are 2 "home wins".
Marco's system would see; 3 > 2, 2 > 1 and 1> 0, i.e. 3 "home wins".
5 | 6 | 5 | 6
3 | 2 | 1 | 0

In that case, we need to use the 5 and 6 codings.

Upvote 0
1. A relational comparison (with >, <, so on) delivers either a TRUE or a FALSE.

2. SUMPRODUCT works (needs) only with numbers.

3. An operator like + acts as a coercer.

4. TRUE+0 ==> 1; FALSE+0 ==> 0. (By the way, TRUE is 1 and FALSE is 0 in Excel.)

5. Hence +0. That is, all comparison results are transformed (coerced) into 1's and 0's.

6. SUMPRODUCT sums those 1's and 0's. The sum that obtains is effectively the count we are looking for.

Thanks very much for the explanation. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keycalinc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back