Hiding Chart Legend Entry

Matanuska

Anyone know how to prevent one of several chart series entries from showing up in the chart legend? I asked this previously on the old board and someone suggested replacing the the legend reference in the series formula with "" like this:

=SERIES("",xSeriesRef,ySeriesRef,1)

This only does half of what I want (it hides the text but leaves the symbol). I sometimes use SERIES formulas to draw reference lines through chart data points or construct custom gridlines (probability spaced, for example) & don't want a legend entry to show up for the reference series, but need to keep the legend entries for the data series.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
How? When I select a legend entry and delete it, the series it goes with also disappears from the plot.

Upvote 0
Create a column chart using...

{"","Jan","Feb","Mar"
;"Apples",10,30,50
;"Oranges",20,40,60
;"Lemons",30,50,70}

Oranges are charted as Series 2. Click on "Oranges" in the Legend until selected. Press [ Delete ]. Notice the Series 2 column is still on chart, but "Oranges" no longer in the Legend.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-02-27 16:09

Upvote 0
Works great with a column chart. Unfortunately I'm using an XY scatter plot (Numeric X values vs. numeric Y values) & it refuses to cooperate.

Upvote 0
Create an XY chart using...

{"X","Y","Z"
;1,10,1
;2,20,3
;3,30,5}

...with series in colums. This will produce 2 series and 2 legend entries. As before select the "Y Legend Entry" (NOT the "Y Legend Key"; there's a difference) by clicking on the "Y" in the legend (NOT it's symbol) and press [ Delete ]. Notice the 1st series is still plotted after the removal of its legend entry.

Upvote 0
That was me above. Sometimes this bulletin board logs you off an the most inopportune times. Here's what I was trying to add...

...with series in columns. This will produce 2 series and 2 legend entries.

As before select the "Y Legend Entry" (NOT the "Y Legend Key"; there's a difference) by clicking on the "Y" in the legend (NOT it's symbol) and press [ Delete ]. If you're in doubt about what's selected look at the Name box just left of the Formula Bar.

Notice the 1st series is still plotted after the removal of its legend entry.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-02-27 16:59

Upvote 0
Wonderful! Exactly what I wanted!

I can't believe that such a simple distinction makes such a big difference.

This site is great! Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back