Activate sheets by codename from the Personal.xlsb

Rowland Hamilton

How do I activate/access sheets by codename from the Personal.xlsb
I want it to work for 2 scenarios:
1) Recently downloaded Excel report in the temporary folder, with one sheet, Worksheet name and codename are both sheet1.

2) Workbook has been saved and the worksheet name has been changed from Sheet1 but the codename is still Sheet1 and I want to refer to the codename.

run time error 91, object variable or with block variable not set on wsD.Name = "Download"
watch on wsD.name shows the function did not retrieve the codename (perhaps it is being bypassed?).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Also works if I step back to function then step through it so its hard to debug, because it works then.
Here is a simpler code to test, same problem, function doesn't work on first launch from quick button on quick access menu. PERSONAL.XLSB, but will work when I end the debugger and run a second time:

Code:
Sub Test_Won()
Dim wsPivot As Excel.Worksheet
Set wsPivot = GetWorksheetFromCodeName("Sheet1")
MsgBox wsPivot.Name
End Sub
Code:
[B][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#006699]Function[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] <CODE style="COLOR: #000">GetWorksheetFromCodeName(</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">ByVal</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">CodeName </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">As</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">String</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #000">) </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">As</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">Worksheet
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #008200">' Return the worksheet with the requested code </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #000">name.
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Dim</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">FocusSheet </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">As</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Object
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">  For</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Each</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">FocusSheet </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">In</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">    If</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">FocusSheet.CodeName = CodeName  </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Then
      </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Set</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">GetWorksheetFromCodeName = </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #000">FocusSheet
      </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Exit</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Function</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #000"> 
    </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">End </CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">If
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">  Next</CODE> <CODE style="COLOR: #000">FocusSheet
</CODE><CODE style="COLOR: #069; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">End</CODE>

Upvote 0
Maybe ...

Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim wsPivot     As Excel.Worksheet

Set wsPivot = GetWorksheetFromCodeName(ActiveWorkbook, "Sheet1")
    If wsPivot Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Not found"
    Else
        MsgBox wsPivot.Name
    End If
End Sub

Function GetWorksheetFromCodeName(wkb As Workbook, sCodeName As String) As Worksheet
    Dim wks         As Excel.Worksheet

For Each wks In wkb.Worksheets
        If wks.CodeName = sCodeName Then
            Set GetWorksheetFromCodeName = wks
            Exit Function
        End If
    Next wks
End Function

Upvote 0
Thanks, SHG. Same problem, When I first open Excel and run the macro from a quick launch button, it returns "Not Found" message, but, of course, it should have been found because I opened a fresh workbook that definitely had a sheet codenamed "Sheet1". If I stop the debugger and run the code you just gave me again (from quick launch button even), it does find th"Sheet1".

Upvote 0
Doesn't work on home computer or work computer and the are on different networks. I must not have run it the same way before (starting from a fresh new instance of excel). Also found it won't work if launch the macro from a list (like in the developer tab). Only works after stopping the debugger or starting from line 1 of the code in the vbe and running it from there.

I found that the code will work to identify the sheet codenames in the PERSONAL.XLSB, but not to identify the codenames in the activeworkbook. Example:
Code:
Public Function GetWorksheetFromCodeName2( _
      ByVal CodeName As String) As Worksheet

' Return the worksheet with the requested code name.
   Dim FocusSheet As Object

For Each FocusSheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
      If FocusSheet.CodeName = CodeName Then
         Set GetWorksheetFromCodeName2 = FocusSheet
         Exit Function
      End If
   Next FocusSheet

End Function

Sub Test_Dweeb()
Dim wsPivot As Excel.Worksheet
Workbooks("PERSONAL.XLSB").Activate
Set wsPivot = GetWorksheetFromCodeName2("Sheet1")
MsgBox wsPivot.Name
End Sub

Upvote 0
You can specify the workbook by name, Rowland. The code works fine for me.

Upvote 0
I want it to work on any actual workbook I open but launch from the PERSONAL.XLSB. and, I want it to reference the codename of the sheet in the active workbook that is not the PERSONAL.XLSB.

Upvote 0
Oddly enough, it will work, but only if I launch the code from the VB Editor window, or step into it, right before it decides to use the Codenames the way I want it to. To test the theory, I added debug.prints for my Immediate window:

Code:
Public Function GetWorksheetFromCodeName(ByVal CodeName As String) As Worksheet
' Return the worksheet with the requested code name.
   Dim FocusSheet As Object
   MsgBox "Running Test Code in " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
   Debug.Print "Activeworkbook name is: " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
   'Stop

For Each FocusSheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
[B]   Debug.Print "First-FocusSheet.CodeName =" & FocusSheet.CodeName[/B]
   [B]Stop[/B]
      If FocusSheet.CodeName = CodeName Then
[B]      Debug.Print "Match-FocusSheet.CodeName =" & FocusSheet.CodeName
      Debug.Print "Match-CodeName =" & CodeName[/B]
      'Stop
         Set GetWorksheetFromCodeName = FocusSheet
         Debug.Print "Match-GetWorksheetFromCodeName = " & GetWorksheetFromCodeName.Name
         'Stop
         Exit Function
      End If
Debug.Print "Mismatch-FocusSheet.CodeName =" & FocusSheet.CodeName
Debug.Print "Mismatch-CodeName =" & CodeName
Stop
   Next FocusSheet
Debug.Print "Next FocusSheet.CodeName =" & FocusSheet.CodeName
Debug.Print "Next CodeName =" & CodeName
End Function
Sub Test_Won()
Dim wbREAL As Workbook
Dim wsREAL As Worksheet

Set wbREAL = ActiveWorkbook
'Workbooks("PERSONAL.XLSB").Activate
MsgBox "Running Test Code in " & wbREAL.Name
wbREAL.Activate
Set wsREAL = GetWorksheetFromCodeName("Sheet1")
MsgBox wsREAL.Name & " in " & wsREAL.Parent.Name
End Sub

The results are:
Activeworkbook name is: Book1
First-FocusSheet.CodeName =
Match-FocusSheet.CodeName =Sheet1
Match-CodeName =Sheet1
Match-GetWorksheetFromCodeName = Sheet1

When I open a fresh instance of excel and launch this code outside of the VBE, and Stop it at the bold stop, I I notice that the FocusSheet.CodeName is not populated before stopping the code, but right after stopping the code, I can let the macro play or step through it, and the very next debug print picks up the FocusSheet.CodeName, eventhough the only codes in between are debug print and stop. The only difference is that I have activated the VBE window by making it stop there and somehow, it is able to understand how to work from the PERSONAL.XLSB and pull codenames from the ActiveWorkbook eventhough I didn't explicitly name the Actveworkbook in the code.

Upvote 0
You're running your code. Have you tried mine?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back