Class module for textbox will not work??

DRJ

MrExcel MVP
I was trying to group together several textboxes on a userform to group together their before update events to check for proper values. Anyways I get to the point when I start a class module and put

Public WithEvents TextBoxGroup As TextBox

When I try to compile excel gets an error stating that the object does not source automation events. So can text boxes be grouped like this? I was able to do the same thing with command buttons and toggle buttons, but maybe there is a different way to do text boxes??

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Jacob,

As long as you have a reference to MSForms library you should be able to do that. I got the following to compile:

Public WithEvents tbxTest As MSForms.TextBox

The problem you'll run into is that in class modules the menu of events is (for some reason I don't know) restricted. Looks like for a textbox control in a class module, the only events you'll be able to trap are:<ul>[*]BeforeDragOver[*]BeforeDropOrPaste[*]Change[*]DblClick[*]DropButtonClick[*]Error[*]KeyDown[*]KeyPress[*]KeyUp[*]MouseDown[*]MouseMove[*]MouseUp[/list]And change fires for every ruddy change, so it's tough to use. I've been working on similar problems. I'd love to be able to figure out a way to trap on Enter/Exit events on multiple textboxes at once, but I haven't figured out a good way (I ended up just using the VBIDE / VBComponent tools to insert a bunch of code into the userform - ugh). I also tried using a generic MSForms.Control object in a class module because that does give you Enter/Exit events. But VBA would not let me assign a textbox to that generic control. :x

If you do figure out a way to pull this off in a class module, do post back, I'd be interested in seeing it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I couldn't see MSForms as a reference in VBE. I have Excel 2002. Is there something that I need to download, or am I just going blind. Also this is for Excel VBA, and not VB right?

I wonder why there is no after update or before update, or enter/exit event. seem to me like that would be more usefull then mouse down.

Upvote 0
Hi,

The MSForms Library becomes available just by adding a new UserForm to your project.

Upvote 0
Excel VBA. Mine is listed as "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library" which - on my system - points to C:\WINNT\System32\FM20.DLL

And I could not agree more - I would think Enter and Exit loads more useful than MouseDown!

Upvote 0
rafaaj2000 said:
Hi,

The MSForms Library becomes available just by adding a new UserForm to your project.

ok I see. I was just playing around in a blank wb and there was no userform so nothing was working. I put in a userform and MSForms.Textbox works. Nothing usefull to do with it yet though :(

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I was able to get something working. I only want numbers in several textboxes so I use this

In the userform

Code:
Option Explicit

Dim TextBoxes(1 To 15)  As New UserFormControlGroupClass

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Dim x               As Integer

For x = 1 To 15
        Set TextBoxes(x).TextBoxGroup = PayCalculator.Controls("TextBox" & x)
    Next x
    Call FormatUserForm(Me.Caption)

End Sub

Then in the class module

Code:
Option Explicit

Public WithEvents TextBoxGroup As MSForms.TextBox

Private Sub TextBoxGroup_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)

If KeyAscii < 46 Or KeyAscii > 57 Or KeyAscii = 47 Then KeyAscii = 0

End Sub

This works good to only allow numbers and decimal. Now all I need is a way to format the textboxes as 0.00 after the numbers are updated. I currently just duplicate the code for each individual textbox to do this, but was hoping for a simple way.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Nice Subject o_O Maybe some Sublcassing is needed to trap the Exit/Enter events of the TextBoxes globally. I haven't tried this yet but I will be interested to know if it can be done.

Regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back