Table Range.Cell formula the same for the entire column

Gordon7322

I have a loop that goes through data on another sheet to insert into a table. The rest of the code where I add the value to each cell is fine, but the issue happens when every time I insert a new row into the table, the formula I add to that cell affects every cell in the column, not just the row and column.

The weird thing is that I had a table with values and the code worked fine, every row had its own formula. But when I removed all the rows from the table and tested this again, this time the entire column is connected to 1 formula.

I think I'm overlooking something involving adding to null table values or how I coded with the cell: tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 6).Formula

How do I make it so the formula is different for each row? I appreciate any help, thanks.

Code:
Dim tableNewRow As ListRow
Dim data As Variant
Dim dayString As String

For i = 1 To UBound(data)
        dicKeyString = data(i, 2)
        If dicKeyString Like "### ### ###" Then
            If dicRecDate.Exists(dicKeyString) Then
                ws.Range("A" & i, "N" & i).Interior.ColorIndex = 46 'orange
                dupRecCount = dupRecCount + 1
            Else
                Set tableNewRow = mainws.ListObjects("Table1").ListRows.Add(AlwaysInsert:=True)   'add new row to table 1
                'Table Col A
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 1).Value = data(i, 2)
                'Table Col B
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 2).Value = data(i, 4)
                'Table Col C
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 3).Value = data(i, 5) 'ws.Range("E" & i).Value
                'Table Col D
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 4).Value = data(i, 7) 'ws.Range("G" & i).Value
                'Table Col E
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 5).Value = data(i, 8) 'ws.Range("H" & i).Value
                'Table Col F
                dayString = Left(data(i, 1), 10)
                'set formula
                tableNewRow.Range.Cells(1, 6).Formula = "=DATEDIF(DATEVALUE(" & Chr(34) & dayString & Chr(34) & "), TODAY(), " & Chr(34) & "D" & Chr(34) & ")"  'days in cust"
                ws.Range("A" & i, "N" & i).Interior.ColorIndex = 43 'Green
                addRecCount = addRecCount + 1
            End If
        End If
    Next i

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi there, and welcome to the board!

First of all, you've done nothing wrong. This is completely expected and normal behavior. Albeit a little confusing at first, I took a stab at explaining it in a blog post here (topic needed to be covered anyway). Basically Excel is adding a calculated column with a fresh, or clean, column. If you have different values in a column (e.g. adding text to any cell in a column prior to adding a formula), then it becomes dirty and Excel won't add the formula as a calculated column.

Upvote 0
Hi there, and welcome to the board!

First of all, you've done nothing wrong. This is completely expected and normal behavior. Albeit a little confusing at first, I took a stab at explaining it in a blog post here (topic needed to be covered anyway). Basically Excel is adding a calculated column with a fresh, or clean, column. If you have different values in a column (e.g. adding text to any cell in a column prior to adding a formula), then it becomes dirty and Excel won't add the formula as a calculated column.

Awesome blog and very informative post, thank you, it worked!

Upvote 0
Very welcome! This is the tidbit I usually try to leave people with: formulas in Tables are always inherently going to want to become calculated columns, and while it's relatively easy to have different formulas in different rows of a Table column (e.g. non-calculated column), there will always be a propensity to overwrite that data mistakenly (just takes one button click and *poof*). If you require different formulas for different rows, I usually don't recommend using a Table. If you're after the formatting, you can always make it a Table, then Convert to Range, and the formatting will stay. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back