If statement to show complete, ongoing, next, and planned events

ExcelFanatic

Board Regular
I have a worksheet showing events and have created a statement to show whether the event is complete, ongoing, next, or planned.

=IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3<today(),"complete",IF(and($a3<today(),$b3>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))

The formula works great if there is an event that is ongoing, however if there are not ongoing events, it shows all future events as "Planned".

If there is not a ongoing event, I want to show the next event after a completed event as "Next", and all events after as "Planned" .

A - Start Date
B - End Date
C - Status

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I have a worksheet showing events and have created a statement to show whether the event is complete, ongoing, next, or planned.

=IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3<today(),"complete",IF(and($a3<today(),$b3>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))
Your stated formula is invalid, I think you mean
=IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3=TODAY(),"Ongoing","Planned"))
Please confirm.
If you are using TODAY() as criteria to determine if an event is ongoing or planned and if today the condition B3=TODAY() is met then tomorrow the event status will revert back to what it was yesterday

Upvote 0
The formula in my post is not complete (not sure how that happened). Here is my formula:

IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3<today(),"complete",if(and($a3<today(),$b3>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))</today(),"complete",if(and($a3<today(),$b3>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your stated formula is invalid, I think you mean
=IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3=TODAY(),"Ongoing","Planned"))
Please confirm.
If you are using TODAY() as criteria to determine if an event is ongoing or planned and if today the condition B3=TODAY() is met then tomorrow the event status will revert back to what it was yesterday

IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3<TODAY(),"Complete",IF(AND($A3<TODAY(),$B3>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))

Upvote 0
IF($C2="Ongoing", "Next", IF($B3<TODAY(), "Complete", IF(AND($A3<TODAY(),$B3>TODAY()), "Ongoing", "Planned")))

Upvote 0
IF($C2="Ongoing","Next",IF($B3<TODAY(),"Complete",IF(AND($A3<TODAY(),$B3>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))

Upvote 0
Code:
=IF($C1="Ongoing","Next",IF($B2<TODAY(),"Complete",IF(AND($A2<TODAY(),$B2>TODAY()),"Ongoing","Planned")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back