Changing a date to text string

djbwantstoknow

In converting to a different program I need to change the dates into a piece of text for the upload file.
Existing program requires the dates to be in a standard date format: 2014-12-15. The new program requires the dates to be a text string 12152014 (not a date, just a text string) How can I convert the column of dates into a text string. Anything I ve tried to change the date to a piece of text just changes the date to it s underlying serial number.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Sheet1

*ABC
12014-12-15121520142

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:75px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=TEXT(A1,"mmddyyyy")
C1=TYPE(B1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
In converting to a different program I need to change the dates into a piece of text for the upload file.
Existing program requires the dates to be in a standard date format: 2014-12-15. The new program requires the dates to be a text string 12152014 (not a date, just a text string) How can I convert the column of dates into a text string. Anything I ve tried to change the date to a piece of text just changes the date to it s underlying serial number.
Assuming your dates start in cell A2, put this formula...

=TEXT(A2,"mmddyyyy")

in Row 2 of an unused column and copy it down to the end of the data in Column A (where I have assumed your dates to be located at), then select all those cells where you just put the formula and copy them, then (assuming you want to overwrite your real dates with their text equivalents) select cell A2 and then use "Paste Special/Values" to perform the overwrite.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back