VBA connection to Access using ADODB, to include password

baitmaster

Good morning all, I have the following piece of code that I use to connect to Access Databases:
Code:
Sub connectionOpen()
Set adConn = New ADODB.Connection
With adConn
   .CursorLocation = adUseServer
   .ConnectionTimeout = 500
   .Provider = "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0"
   .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & strPathToDB & ";"
   .Open
   .CommandTimeout = 500
End With
End Sub

I want to apply password protection to the database, but am unsure how to include the password when updating my code. I've tried various things with mixed error messages:

Code:
   .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & strPathToDB & "; password = myPassword"
run-time error '-2147217843 (80040e4d)': Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user

Code:
   .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & strPathToDB & "; database password = myPassword"
run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)': could not find installable ISAM

Code:
   .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & strPathToDB & "; Jet OLEDB:Database Password = myPassword"
run-time error '-2147217843 (80040e4d)': not a valid password

note, "myPassword" represents the actual password and not e.g. a variable. I've been using Access connection strings - ConnectionStrings.com as a general guide for this update

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I assume you've read the notes on that page about password problems and made sure to follow them?

Upvote 0
I think so. I'm using MS Office Pro Plus 2010, but the header states "Database (Access 2007-2010)" and I can't confirm what level of encryption it's got. The password is a simple text string with no special characters.

As that page is not about the link between Excel and Access I'm trying to guess what the correct syntax is for this task, so I'm not sure exactly where to look for the problem. My suspicion is that my 1st and 3rd attempts are nearest the mark

Thanks

Upvote 0
update

I was about to write this:
"Still stuck. Reckon the 3rd approach above is correct so unable to explain why it's not working...

I missed the ";" at the end of the connection string but that hasn't changed anything (for any of the options).

It's a .accdb file created in Access 2010; Options > General > default file format for blank document = Access 2007. Client Settings > encryption method = "use legacy encryption"
"

then had a brainwave... although I'd adjusted the encryption method, I already had encryption on at the time, which wasn't changed by just changing the setting. Switching off and on again finally fixed the problem - who'd a thought that works for encryption too?!

Thanks for the pointer Rory, got there in the end

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back