How do you convert a ratio to a percentage?

Cheri315

I posted this under percent to ratio but didn't realize the thread was a year old.

I have the opposite question. How do you convert a ratio to a percentage.

Say I hired 41 people and had to terminate 25. What is the turnover ratio percentage. I used =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(41/25,"?/?"),"/",":") which got me a 5:3 ratio but I guess I'm looking for a percentage of turnover.

Last quarter it was hire 27 and termed 20 and they came up with 17% I've done everything possible to figure out how they calculated that but it's more like 68%. If you only retained 7 of the 27 you hired it seems it would have to be a much higher percentage.

Can anyone help? :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
what is the total number of staff as i think you may need that if you have the movement hired less terminated / total number of staff this will give you your turnover in % I beleive.

kitty

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. At least I think I was on the right track.

That's is more in line with what I thought it should be - it came out to be 61%. I still don't know how they got a 17% turnover when they hired 27 and lost 20. The total number of employees averages around 140. I questioned whether that should be in the equation too.

If I use the above in the formula the percentage ratio is 74% not 17%.[/img]

Upvote 0
turnover rate - the ratio of the number of workers that had to be replaced in a given time period to the average number of workers.

TOR=(num. who left/avg. num. of emps.)*100

=(25/140)*100

=17%

Upvote 0
So the number of hires doesn't enter into the equation. :unsure: Well at least you got me to 17%. Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back