Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What Function Do I Use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Function Do I Use?

I am looking for a formula (and, eventually, formulae) that will compare the contents of a cell against a range and produce an answer in a corresponding cell.

For example, Column A contains 10 rows where A1 = 1, A2 = 2 and sop on. Column B contains 10 rows where B1 = A, B2 = B, and so on.

In column C I want to insert a formula that will compare my criterion (a number between 1 and 10) and show me the corresponding letter from that same row.

However, I don't know if a formula exists that can handle repeated numbers (e.g., in the range A1:A10, the number "1" appears three times, but with different letters in the corresponding rows of column B).

In column C, I only want the first reference (from column B) of the "1" to appear, and in Column D the second reference (from column B) to appear, and in column E the third reference from column B to appear.

So, if in the range A1:A10, cells A2, A4 and A6 contain "1", and cell B2 = A, B4 = K and B6 = N, then C2 = A, C4 = K and C6 = K.

This may not be possible, but I figured if anyone knows the answer I'll find them here.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Function Do I Use?

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - Book8___Running: xl2000 : OS = Windows Windows 2000
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

A
    B
    C
    D
    1AA
    2B
    1CC
    3L
    4M
    5N
    6O
    7P
    8Q
    Sheet1

[HtmlMaker 2.32] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

The formula in C2 is:

=IF(A2=$C$1,B2,"")

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Function Do I Use?

Thanks! But is there a formula that can also produce the reults of references that are not repeated as well?

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others