One specific file gives errors

DutchKevin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, we have nice tracking file in excel at work.
However that is also the one file that gives various errors. It does so on all computers, both when file is on network, and also if we try it with a local copy on Cdrive.
When opening the file it warns that "excel cannot complete the task with available resources".
It also has been known to reply with "document not saved" when saving. This occurs quite random. Happens often but not always.
And last but not least the File button doesn't visualy respond to mouse click anymore. Via the key shortcuts we can still perform "Save" and so on, if we know the applicable shortcuts.

The file itself is built up of one overview sheet and over 200 sheets. all sheets connect to the overview sheet.
It has also VBA code for buttons and filters, and code on fileopen and fiel close. the VBA code does not look to extensive to me. Ranges are not too big, operations not too complex.

What I want to ask you is if you can advise me where (or how to try) to repair this. Or is someone willling to have a look with me to this file?

thanks
kevin

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi Peter,
Thanks for looking at this post.
I have tried the open and repair option earlier. it did not help. The file itself does not report explicitely a corrupted status either.
Also i have once tried to copy certain sheets to a new workbook, but the save function doesn't work for the old or new file. It asks to save or not, but when clicking yes, it will not present a dialog to add name or slecte folder.

Upvote 0
I was hoping to avoid rebuild. 200+ sheets of data... hmmm
And both save and save-as behave equal in that respect.
Is there perhaps a limit to the amount of calls to a specific VBA code that may exist in a workbook? all data sheets have the same "Back to Mastersheet" button.

Upvote 0
Hi, just wanted to let you know that it is finally solved.
The file nearly crashed permanently while trying to recover but the deal was this.

Each of the 200+ sheets had two sum fields that totalled from row 8 to row to the bottom of sheet 1048576. so a lot of sum's with very little in it. Used to work fine in Excel 2003 and 7 where the amount of rows was a lot smaller.
So I reduced the sum ranges of all sheets and now it works fine agian.

Happy easter to you all !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back