Newbie help required, you lovely people

Ricoventry

Hello there,

I find myself at this, my first Excel forum, for I find myself with nowhere else to turn. Any help offered will incredibly gratefully received.

I'm working on a holiday tracker, and it's pretty evolved as it stands. The issue I have two sets of staff on the same page but treated differently; namely full-time staff and part-time staff. A code in a calendar denotes a value that I manipulate elsewhere.

The code in this instance is 'S'. If I enter an 'S' into the corresponding day for a full time individual, I will track that they have been off sick for 7 hours (their normal working day).

If that staff member is part-time, I will put S followed by the number of hours they've been off sick for. So, if a part-time member of staff is schedule to be in for 4 hours but phones in sick, the code will be S4.

Now, the code I'm using to extract the numerical data after the S is this:

{=SUM(IF(LEFT(L$5:L$200)<>"S",0,--MID(L$5:L$200,FIND("",L$5:L$200)+1,LEN(L$5:L$200))))}

Whilst this seems to work correctly, I've noticed that if a full time member of staff in the same range is off sick, then when I put a simple 'S' in that box, I am met with a value error. I have attempted the following, but to no avail:

{=SUM(IF(LEFT(I$5:I$120)<>"S",AND(LEFT(I$50:I$198,2)<>"",--MID(I$50:I$198,FIND("",I$50:I$198)+1,LEN(I$50:I$198)))))}

Now, owing to the set requirements I have the following restrictions:

• I am not permitted to use VBA
  • I cannot simply put S7 for the full time members of staff.
  • I'm using a combination of Excel 2010 (home) and Excel 2013 (work)

As I say, I'm really grateful to whoever's taken the time to read through this.

Thanks,

Ricoventry

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hello!
I like this question but I don't understand all of the issue It was nice to see a spreadsheet sample instead to use 1000s of words and formula
Can you post a screenshot with just few rows and colunms with the expected outcome so we can understand better?
help us to help you
Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back so quickly GerryZ.

The forum seems to need me to host the images so that I can link to the URL - I'll try to sort that and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

Ricoventry

Upvote 0
Ricoventry,

Welcome to MrExcel.

If as I understand, you wish S to be included in the sum as value 7 ?????

Then try

=SUM(IF(L$5:L$200="S",7,IF(LEFT(L$5:L$200)<>"S",0,--MID(L$5:L$200,FIND("",L$5:L$200)+1,LEN(L$5:L$200)))))

Confirmed with Ctrl + Shift + Enter

Also see links in my signature notes if you wish to post a snapshot.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Wow! That's it - that has solved literally days of overwhelming panic!!

Thanks very much for your help both - and Snakehips, as you might be able to tell from my moniker, I'm a fellow Coventrian - this was fated.

Brilliant :)

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Always good to keep it in the family! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back