Check if data is in lower case or non-proper case

joand

How do I check the following:

1) in column B (beginning in Row 5, hence B5 to last row in column B), I have several data.
2) They begin with markups, e.g. _rfsti, _par1, _adseq, _rftxt, _rfeti followed by a blank space followed by a sentence (or numerical values)
Sample is shown below:

_adseq 1
_rfsti This is a sentence
_rftxt United States
_rfeti This is another sentence

3) check if the data begins with the markup "_rfsti" or "_rfeti", if it finds a match, do the following:
check if the first letter of the value is in lower case, if it is in lower case returns the value "First letter should be capitalized" in column C in the same row where it finds the match
if the first letter of the value is in upper case, returns blank

4) check if the data begins with the markup "_rftxt", if it finds a match, do the following:
check if ALL the cases of the value are in proper case, if it is NOT in proper case returns the value "Words should be in proper case" in column C in the same row where it finds the match
if the first letter of the value is already in proper case, returns blank value

Kindly guide me how to get this started.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Can you clarify what you mean by "Value" in your question.

Is it the markup that needs to be capitalised or the sentence after it?

Both 3 & 4, based on your info, seem to be the same.

Capitalising the first letter is the same as Proper case.

Upvote 0
Hi Comfy:

to answer your question, in the example I provided above

_adseq 1
"1" is the value

"This is a sentence" is the value

_rftxt United States
"United States" is the value

"This is another sentence" is the value

To the other question, I only want to check the first letter for the first scenario, while for the second scenario, I need to check if the entire sentence is in proper case

Upvote 0
How do I check the following:

1) in column B (beginning in Row 5, hence B5 to last row in column B), I have several data.
2) They begin with markups, e.g. _rfsti, _par1, _adseq, _rftxt, _rfeti followed by a blank space followed by a sentence (or numerical values)
Sample is shown below:

_adseq 1
_rftxt United States

3) check if the data begins with the markup "_rfsti" or "_rfeti", if it finds a match, do the following:
check if the first letter of the value is in lower case, if it is in lower case returns the value "First letter should be capitalized" in column C in the same row where it finds the match
if the first letter of the value is in upper case, returns blank

4) check if the data begins with the markup "_rftxt", if it finds a match, do the following:
check if ALL the cases of the value are in proper case, if it is NOT in proper case returns the value "Words should be in proper case" in column C in the same row where it finds the match
if the first letter of the value is already in proper case, returns blank value

Kindly guide me how to get this started.

Enter into C5 and copy down:

=IF(OR(LEFT(B5,6)="_rfsti",LEFT(B5,6)="_rfeti"),IF(ISERROR(FIND(MID(B5,2,1),LOWER(MID(B5,2,1)))),"","First letter should be capitalized"),IF(LEFT(B5,6)="_rftxt",IF(ISERROR(FIND(MID(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""))&MID(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""),FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ","")&" *"," ","#",1))+1,1)&MID(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""),FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ","")&" *"," ","#",2))+1,1),2,1),PROPER(MID(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""))&MID(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""),FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ","")&" *"," ","#",1))+1,1)&MID(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ",""),FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"_rftxt ","")&" *"," ","#",2))+1,1),2,1)))),"Words should be in proper case",""),""))

Upvote 0
Try
=IF(OR(LEFT(B5,6)="_rfsti",LEFT(B5,6)="_rfeti"),IF(EXACT(MID(B5,FIND(" ",B5)+1,1),UPPER(MID(B5,FIND(" ",B5)+1,1))),"","1st letter should be capitalised"),IF(LEFT(B5,6)="_rftxt",IF(EXACT(MID(B5,FIND(" ",B5)+1,99),PROPER(MID(B5,FIND(" ",B5)+1,99))),"","Words should be in proper case"),""))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back