Averaging or Counting a number of cells in a column

madchemist

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet I am using to calculate golf handicaps. Columns B through Y contain the weekly scores for each player. Not everyone plays each week so there will be blank cells, but what I am trying to do is average the 8 most recent scores, so essentially start at Column Y for each player and come up with the average score of their last 8 rounds. So for some players it might be 8 cells immediately preceding (and including) column Y. Others might have missed weeks so it needs to go back further until it finds 8 cells with values in them.

Anyone have any ideas how I can accomplish this? Ideally I'd want to average the last 8 scores in column Z.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
This seems to work. Not sure if this can be simplified, but I also wanted to remove the max and min from the last 8 rounds before averaging.

=(SUM(IF(COLUMN(B42:V42)>=LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|COLUMN(B42:V42))|MIN(8|COUNT(B42:V42)))|IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|B42:V42)))-MAX(IF(COLUMN(B42:V42)>=LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|COLUMN(B42:V42))|MIN(8|COUNT(B42:V42)))|IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|B42:V42)))-MIN(IF(COLUMN(B42:V42)>=LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|COLUMN(B42:V42))|MIN(8|COUNT(B42:V42)))|IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|B42:V42))))/(COUNT(IF(COLUMN(B42:V42)>=LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|COLUMN(B42:V42))|MIN(8|COUNT(B42:V42)))|IF(ISNUMBER(B42:V42)|B42:V42)))-2)

Upvote 0
Wouldn't this be simpler?

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),LARGE(IF(A2:Y2<>"",COLUMN(A2:Y2)),8))&":Y2"))

Entered into cell Z2 using CTRL+SHFT+ENTR, not just enter.

Upvote 0
Hi "a massive zebra",

NB I am not the original poster.

I looked at this but I have the wrong sort of mind. I can't do anagrams either!

So :pray:

However, it would be even better if the final "Y2" was not hard-coded so you could drag it down to other rows.

Upvote 0
Rick,

This formula could be copied down:

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),LARGE(IF(A2:Y2<>"",COLUMN(A2:Y2)),8))&":"&ADDRESS(2,COLUMN()-1)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back