Issue with 2 windows being open (of same workbook)

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
Using: Excel 2013 64 bit

I have a relatively complex workbook open utilising multiple sheets, VBA, Tables and PowerPivot referencing those tables.

Because of the multi sheet structure it makes my life easier to have several windows open of this same workbook as it stops me needing to flick between sheets all the time. Potentially I will have twin views open of the same sheet.

What I have noticed, and what my issue is, is that often Excel will seem to freeze - sometimes I can navigate the sheet but simply can't select any cells or copy/paste. Other times the sheet is completely frozen. I can usually get temporary relief from the freezing by either (1) saving the workbook down or (2) switching to another sheet (in the same window) and then back again.

However, today this has not been working at all and I have found I need to close all the additional windows I have open and simply work from the one window (and I have not noticed this freezing occurring with only the one window open).

Does anyone have any ideas? My perception is that this problem has got worse over time - I use this spreadsheet each month and save it down as a new copy each month. The freezing is getting more frequent and to a greater degree of severity. It does appear to be cured by closing the additional windows though.

Thanks for any replies.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back