Vertical Scroll Bar Jumps from top to bottom of file instead of bottom of data

bbader123

Using Excel 2010 on Windows 7.

This problem is driving me crazy. I have data (formulas) in a worksheet from row 1 to 1000. However, the scroll bar thinks there is data to the bottom of the worksheet, the very bottom!!! So the scroll bar is very small and if you move it even a fraction, you jump from row 1 to row 4830 (or somthing beyond the actual data).

Note the following:
1) I have 4 sheets; Tab 1) A picture of WORD file with instructions; Tab 2) Has worksheet with formulas and macro buttons to sort the data (problem page), Tab 3) Statistics for data on Tab 2; Tab 4) More statistics for Tab 2. I use conditional formatting and Data Validation rules.

What have I tried.

1) Deleting all tabs except tab 2.; followed by a save, even closed and reopened the file.
2) Deleting all rows from 1001 to the bottom of the file; followed by a save, even closed and reopened the file.
3) Clearing all formatting, content, etc. from rows 1001 to the bottom of the file; followed by a save, even closed and reopened the file.
4) Before I deleted the other tabs I changed my formulas to work on rows 3 to 1000 ... this helped speed up my file as well, lesson learned, but didn't help the scroll bar issue.
5) I changed data validation rules to only work on rows 3 to 1000 ... this helped speed up my file as well, lesson learned, but didn't help the scroll bar issue.
6) I changed conditional formatting to work only on rows 3 to 1000 ... this helped speed up my file as well, lesson learned, but didn't help the scroll bar issue.
7) I removed data validation rules and conditional formatting; followed by a save, even closed and reopened the file. No joy.

The only thing that seems to work is to cut/paste content into a fresh sheet and global replace the sheet name in all my formulas.

HELP!!! Surly there is a way to get the scroll bar to fix itself, this is such a basic function of Excel ... good grief!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I am not sure mole999's suggestion will work as I thought the "last cell problem" gets cleared when the workbook is closed and reopened (which you said you did). By all means, try it, but I am thinking the problem must be somewhere else (not sure where, though). Just out of curiosity, do you have any VBA event code installed in this particular workbook?

Upvote 0
Yes; but the code only works to sort the columns and was modified to only work on the 1st 1000 rows. That was another I changed that I forgot to mention, all formulas and macro's that called an entire column of data now are restricted to only the first 1000. I thought for sure that would fix the issue ... but it didn't. Was reading that the scroll bar thing is a bug in Excel but nothing definitive (in my mind).

Upvote 0
on the page, where does Control + End take you to

Upvote 0
then its a format or something holding the last used cell, there are a number of things that claim to repair last cell reset (or one of those freaky damaged sheets)

Upvote 0
Yes but what? I have tried to clear ALL, format, content ... I have actually deleted and saved .... what more can I do? I also changed my code, conditional formatting, and macros so nothing is trying to touch anything beyond row 1000. Still, Excel thinks I have some data on the bottom of the sheet??!??!?!?

Upvote 0
did you run the code above, any result

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back