Creating Taylor Diagrams in Excel

davidhall

Board Regular
I'm trying to create a Taylor Diagram using excel and I'm looking to see if someone knows where I can obtain a template and/or instructions on how to do it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Rick,

I've followed your instructions and added the Process Form to a new group. After clicking on the icon, I get a "run time error 438 - object doesn't support this property or method". When I click the Debug option, references the a_ProcessForm module/ Sub ProcessForm and the line that says .drwChart. See below.

Sub ProcessForm()

Dim r As Range
Dim TD1 As c_TaylorDiagram
Dim arr As Variant
'On Error GoTo Cancel
'Set r = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Select ""Chart Title"" at the top left of Data Table", Title:="Chart Parameter Entry", Type:=8)
'On Error GoTo 0
Set r = Range("L1")
If Not r Is Nothing Then
r.Resize(10) = Application.Transpose(Array("Chart Title", "Axis Title", "Rays", "Arc1", "Arc2", "Std Max", "StdRef", "Labels", "StdDev", "Correlation"))
Set TD1 = New c_TaylorDiagram
With TD1
.ChartTitle = r.Cells(1, 2).Value
.AxisTitle = r.Cells(2, 2).Value
.Rays = Range(r.Cells(3, 2), r.Cells(3, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.Arc1 = Range(r.Cells(4, 2), r.Cells(4, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.Arc2 = Range(r.Cells(5, 2), r.Cells(5, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.StdMax = r.Cells(6, 2).Value
.StdRef = r.Cells(7, 2).Value
.Labels = Range(r.Cells(8, 2), r.Cells(8, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.stddev = Range(r.Cells(9, 2), r.Cells(9, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.correlation = Range(r.Cells(10, 2), r.Cells(10, 2).End(xlToRight)).Value
.drwChart
End With
End If
Cancel:
End Sub

Do you know how to fix this error?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi,

Unfortunately, the error message tells you only that there is a fault somewhere inside that method. You can single-step it through until it fails then it returns to that point.

However, there is one bug that I know about. If you have only one item selected in one of the lists then it crashes. I have placed a revised version at the same Dropbox link as before.

Annoyingly, I can't seem to make the macro work from that button. It hardcodes the file path as well as the macro name. So every time it changes folders it breaks the link and it won't work. I can't edit it in situ in Dropbox either. I think I should be able to create a custom group that may work better.

If you have any comments about how you would like it to work please let me know and I will try to incorporate the changes.

Upvote 0
Figured out one of the issues with the code.

Within the class module c_TaylorDiagram/ Publice Sub drwChart(), the following line needs to be corrected to show this:

Set newChart = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddChart(xlXYScatterLinesNoMarkers, Left:=0, Top:=0, Width:=500, Height:=500)

There still needs to be another arc created to show the "observed" value.

Also, the standard deviation match up with the horizontal axis but don't match with the vertical axis. When looking at any single point, it should represent the same number when looking at both axis.

Upvote 0
the following line needs to be corrected to show this:

Set newChart = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddChart(xlXYScatterLinesNoMarkers, Left:=0, Top:=0, Width:=500, Height:=500)
Sorry, the line needs to be corrected to show what?

There still needs to be another arc created to show the "observed" value.
Sorry, I am not following. Which one of the two arc types would you like to see and where would you like to see it?

Also, the standard deviation match up with the horizontal axis but don't match with the vertical axis. When looking at any single point, it should represent the same number when looking at both axis.
If you plot the same SD on both axes doesn't that put all the points on a straight line at 45°? What have I missed?

Upvote 0
OK, You were showing me your suggested line - got it!

The original works OK for me but it was introduced in Excel 2013 so I guess you are using an earlier version.
No problem. I can make that change.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I think I have your third point clear in my mind now.

You are confirming that the plot is of CC (correlation coefficient) v SD (standard deviation).
The CC coordinate is along the relevant ray - as now.
The SD coordinate is round the SD contour lines and not against the x-axis as they are now.
So the data points should be plotted at the point where the CC ray crosses the SD contour.

OK, no problem, I can make that change.

Upvote 0
I don't know - you tell me.

Can you post a link to a Taylor Diagram that shows RMSE? If so I will take a look and see what I can do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back