Creating Taylor Diagrams in Excel

davidhall

Board Regular
I'm trying to create a Taylor Diagram using excel and I'm looking to see if someone knows where I can obtain a template and/or instructions on how to do it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Yeah, I have added the .xlam add-in and now it shows two tools, but clicking on any one of these produces same chart.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
To use the Add In, you should really start with a standard Excel file and not a Taylor Diagram one. There is no benefit from having two Taylor Diagram icons in view at the same time.

Then you can go to the Developer tab and select Add-Ins. You should see the option for Taylor Diagram V1_1. If you select that option and OK it, you should now have your plain Excel file with all the Taylor Diagram tools in it and the icon should appear on the Home menu.

Add In usage becomes more obvious if you want to include more than one Add In at a time. For instance, there is an Analysis Toolpack that adds some statistical tools. You can add both Add Ins and get the benefit of both sets of tools at the same time.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hi, I am presenting the plotted Taylor Diagram in one presentation, but sizes of the points are very small, not clearly visible. How can I change the size of the points? I tried with changing the size of the series but it is not changing the sizes of the points. Please help me with that.

Regards and Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi,

A "quick fix" is easy. You can just add a line to the code - as long as you are happy editing VBA.

If you can find the Class Module called c_TaylorDiagram, near the bottom is a Sub called addPoint. You can either replace that with this or just add the .MarkerSize line at the appropriate point.
Rich (BB code):
Public Sub addPoint(stddev As Double, correlation As Double, symbol As String)

Dim sr      As Series
    Dim r       As Double
    Dim arrX    As Variant
    Dim arrY    As Variant

With Me.sh
        Set sr = .SeriesCollection.NewSeries
        With sr
            .HasDataLabels = True
            .XValues = stddev * correlation
            .Values = stddev * Sin(WorksheetFunction.Acos(correlation))
            .MarkerStyle = xlMarkerStyleCircle
            .MarkerSize = 5
            With .Points(1).DataLabel
                .Text = symbol
                .Position = xlLabelPositionAbove
                .Font.Size = 10
            End With
        End With
    End With
End Sub
A MarkerSize of 5 is the current size. Make the number larger for larger markers.

For a better solution I will have to think of a good way to change plot settings. Do I need a UserForm, a new icon on the menu bar, the option of adding extra data on the worksheet etc?

If you can manage with the above code for the time being it will give me more time to get a good solution.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am sorry. I don't know how to change the codes and from where in VBA.

I don't think whether do we need to add the extra data or changing anything else. Could you please make the changes in the final sheet, the RMSE labeled one, you had shared with me? You could just change the size and check by seeing it whether it would be visible in ppt or not. I need to present it on next weekend in a conference.

Regards and Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have been looking at the problem today. I have decided to add another button for Settings next to the Draw button.

It is not 100% finished yet but it should work well enough for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4mlxxq8f9hcwte/Taylor Diagram V1_2.xlsm?dl=0 The Settings form shows a slider which allows you to change the marker size. Values between 2 and 72 are possible. Currently, the size is only 5.

Please let me know if it works.

I have made some other changes as well. For instance, it now starts off showing a sample chart when used in stand-alone mode. (That is, you do not use it as an Add-In.) I will probably be making some more updates over the next 24 hours. So you no longer have to hit the Draw button and then request a Demo when it fails to see how to enter the data. You just overtype it.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks, I tried changing the point size from settings and it's working now. Please let me know when you are done with the final one. No rush.

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback.

I will post here when I update the Workbook.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,
Thanks great stuff. Just what I'm looking for. Seems to be a problem with the dropbox link. Access denied (401) error recieved. Can you check the URL/access rights thanks.

To answer your question, yes correlation and standard deviation. Usually the standard deviation is normalised to 1 as in your example and there should be a comparison point at correlation = 1 , standdard deviation = 1. However that's a minor fix.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back