help with conditional formatting

IOTP

I'm trying to get an excel invoice to recognize negative numbers. I only have one condition running and it is "cell value is between -1000 and 1000" the format of the cell is currency, but it's still not recognizing negative numbers. can anyone help please!!!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Little sparse on information.

Have you checked the conditional formatting is set up correctly. When I tried it mone worked OK...even with Currency formatting.

James

Upvote 0
Yes, I've checked that the formatting was done correctly. Do you have an idea of where I might have gone wrong? I selected the cells that contain the dollars, clicked on conditional formatting and set it to what I said in the first post. Does that help?

Upvote 0
OK that should work....you have also selected a format that you want to apply when the condition is met right?

i.e.

1. click on cell with value in
2. Format --> conditional formatting
3. cell Value is...
4. Between
5. -1000
and..
6. 1000
7. Click on format and apply a relevant format.
Then click ok.

Works fine for me.

James

Upvote 0
YEP, did all that and it still doesn't recognize the negative number as a number.

Upvote 0
Running out of ideas here...

OK so it has to be the number in the cell that is causing the problem. What is the formatting of this number and have you tried entering it directly i.e. keying in a negative number?

James

Upvote 0
it is formatted as currency with two decimal places and a negative sign in front for negative numbers. When I type a number in it says "Unit price errror, you must enter a number into this cell".

Upvote 0
As Jimbojones says, there's no conditional formatting reason reason why it won't work

Try adding another number to that cell and see what you get. i.e in another cell put =cell in question + 5. Does it give an answer or an error.?

Also what formating are you trying to apply, if you just want the negative value to show as red text, you don't need conditional formatting, but you probably know that

I tried to give an easy way to test if it was a number, however I have realised that it doesn't work as it adds okay. Use the ISNUMBER()

Upvote 0
Right maybe now we are getting somewhere.

Sounds like you have applied data validation to the cell.

Check under Data --> Validation

This might have to be my last try before I leave for the night!!!!

James

Upvote 0
That now sounds like a data validation problem. Is cell entry restricted by data validation?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back