Returning only unique numbers using COUNTIFS, can it be done?

Puck101

Hi

I have a table of data that I am using countifs to return the number of accounts that meet my criteria, the problem I have is within the data I have multiple rows of the same account so they are being double counted. Is there away around this?

In my data I have Account number, customer name, date, product, sales person, revenue and I'm trying to make a summary so i'm using countifs to count the accounts where a date falls with a certain month, the sales rep matches the summary name and the revenue is greater than £299 but how do I get it to count only unique account numbers?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
is it just unique account numbers you want? or unique accounts and dates? i.e if an account ordered stock on 01/01/2015 and 02/01/2015 should it produce 1 result or 2?

Upvote 0
Hi, Just unique accounts. All the other criteria is just basically filtering the data for a summary so I can report on each sales person, for each month and where the sales are greater than £299, but once thats done I just want to count the number of customers.
So as per your question I'd want it to return 1. The other complication is if a customer makes to orders within the same month for say 150 each, I'd want that to be included as summed up they are >299. I can work around this by using a separate calculated column but just thought id mention it.

Upvote 0
could you put =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1) in a column, and drag it down? A being the column where the account number is. It will put a 1 next to the first instance a number exists, a 2 for the second etc. You can then do you lookup to the 1's.

Upvote 0
I don't think so unless I'm mis-understanding as that doesn't work with the other elements/criteria of the COUNTIFS. For example, there may be an account that appears multiple times so doesnt have a 1 next to it but if those instances are in previous months then I don't care, I want to count it again this month.

Upvote 0
Sorry yeah I mis-understood the question, I want it on unique account numbers and months (and sales person and value). When I read your question I read the dates 1st Jan and 2nd Jan in this case I'd want it to just return me 1 however if it was 1st Jan and 1st Feb I'd want it to return 2 (count the account for both months)

Upvote 0
if you add another column do A:A&text(B1,"mmmm") it will give you account number followed by month of the date. (assuming your date is in column B. You can then change the formula I gave you earlier to this new column.

Upvote 0
This is the unique count with criteria formula

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(E2:E41="Fred",IF(F2:F41>300,IF(MONTH(C2:C41)=1,MATCH(A2:A41,A2:A41,0)))),ROW(A2:A41)-ROW(A2)+1),1))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (not just ENTER)

Where
-Column E contains Sales Reps
-Column C contains Dates
-Column F contains Revenue
-Column A contains Account Numbers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back