Dynamic Range for Scatter Graph

Hereward

Hi,

I am trying to develop a dynamic range for a scatter graph from an index that selects a row of data from the raw data below for comparison. My formula at the moment looks like what you can see below; however I can't quite get it to work. Is there something obvious I am missing?

=SERIES('Total Report'!$C$6,'Total Report'!=OFFSET($D$5,0,0,MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(5:5),ROW(5:5)-3,0)),1)),'Total Report'!=OFFSET($D$6,0,0,MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(5:5)-3,0)),1)),1)

Regards,

Hereward

Thats correct rows 7,6,8

There will always be the same amount of data for each of the rows, (e.g. d6-z6/d7-z7/d8-z8) so for x at the moment it is displaying the correct values; the count and each of the "y" variables value at that count. However that is because I have limited it to extend only to the last numeric value in the row. If I extend it anymore, the count goes up. It is not plotted but the "x" axis extends the count by however many total cells there are in the row regardless of whether or not they have #N/A.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
kjhgfdsa_zpsbmqhi2tg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is what happens if I extend the values across the whole row if my explanation is unclear.

Upvote 0
But what are those X values supposed to be? Simply the count, that is, the point number? If that is all they are, then you can omit the X values and Excel will just use the set of counting numbers from 1 to the number of Y values.

Assuming that's what is going on, we can set up the following Names in the worksheet.

Go to the Formulas tab of the ribbon, click Define Name, and define the following Names, all scoped to the active sheet:

Name: RowSix
RefersTo:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$6,0,0,1,COUNT(Sheet1!$6:$6))

(where Sheet1 is the name of your worksheet. Be sure to use single quotes around the sheet name if needed.)

Name: RowSeven
RefersTo:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$7,0,0,1,COUNT(Sheet1!$7:$7))

Name: RowEight
RefersTo:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$8,0,0,1,COUNT(Sheet1!$8:$8))

Make your chart using an arbitrary subset of the data in rows 6 through 8. Make a new chart. I suspect your existing one has too tortured a history to be useful.

For example, my three series have these three series formula:

=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$D$7:$N$7,1)
=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$D$6:$N$6,2)
=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$D$8:$N$8,3)

Open the Select Data dialog, select Series1 in the list, and click Edit. In the Series Y Values box, change
=Sheet1!$D$7:$N$7
to
=Sheet1!RowSeven

Similarly in the other two series, change
Sheet1!$D$6:$N$6 to Sheet1!RowSix
and
Sheet1!$D$8:$N$8 to Sheet1!RowEight

The series formulas now look like
=SERIES(,,Sheet1!RowSeven,1)
=SERIES(,,Sheet1!RowSix,2)
=SERIES(,,Sheet1!RowEight,3)

Sometimes Excel even lets you change the series formulas directly, but that doesn't always work.

Now as the data extends, the formulas that return either the values or #N/As update, and the chart reflects the updated data range.

Upvote 0
That has worked perfectly thank you very much.

I have read up on named rows but couldn't quite grasp it until now.

Your help is immensly appreciated,

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back