copy multiple cells with absolute reference help

milehigh

Hi,

I am trying to copy a formula down a sheet so I don't have to type them all separately (over 200).

I am copying data from one sheet to another.

so - cell a2 - formula is =sheet1$b1
cell a3 - formula is =sheet1$b1
cell a4 - formula is =sheet1$c1
cell a5 - formula is =sheet1$c1

And I want to copy all the way down column a
so that cell a6 - formula is =sheet1$d1
cell a7 - formula is = sheet1$d1

and so on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Here you go, paste the code in cell a2 and copy down. If you are working between sheets you will have to adjust the formula for that

Code:
=IF(MOD(ROW();2)=0;INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;2+(ROW()-2)/2));INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;2+(ROW()-3)/2)))

Upvote 0
Hi Dendro,

Thanks for your help. I can't get this to work. I know that I need to put a column or reference in between the () after ROW - so in this instance I put A2 of the current sheet after the first ROW and the cell from the other Sheet (named SCDF) - SCDF!B1 into the () in the subsequent ROW but I am still getting an error in the formula (mod Number,divisor) So I am not sure what to do.

here is what mine looks like: =IF(MOD(ROW(a2);2)=0;INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;2+(ROW(SCDF!B1)-2)/2));INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;2+(ROW(SCDF!B1)-3)/2)))

error is noted after the first semi-colon.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You are not supposed to put anything in ROW(), if it's empty it will give the row-number of the cell where the row()-formula resides. We need this to know if the formula is in an even or uneven row-number.
Let's break down to the formula to understand it better(since i already forgot myself:eek:).
Code:
=[COLOR=#0000ff]IF([/COLOR][COLOR=#006400]MOD([/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]ROW()[/COLOR][COLOR=#006400];2)[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]=0;...;...)[/COLOR]
1. as i already mentioned above, it returns the row-number the formula is in(i.e if you put this in cell A2 it will return row-number 2)
2. We look if this is an even or uneven number by calculating the modulus of that row number divided by 2
3. IF the modulus is equal to 0 it is an even row-number and we do some stuff(copy certain cells) -see further under condition=TRUE, if the row-number is uneven we want to copy the same cells as the previous cell- see further under condition=FALSE

condition=TRUE

Code:
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]INDIRECT([/COLOR][COLOR=#006400]ADDRESS(1;[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]2+(ROW()-2)/2[/COLOR][COLOR=#006400])[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080])[/COLOR]
let's take the example for cell a2(an even row-number) - formula is =sheet1$b1
1. don't worry about this part yet->we decide which column should be assigned depending on the row the formula is in: for the example it will return 2+(2-2)/2 =2= column B

2. we create an address of row 1 - where all the data is coming from - and a column (see 1)
3. INDIRECT takes this address and makes a cell-reference from it B1

condition=FALSE

Code:
INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1;2+(ROW()-3)/2))
what happens for an uneven row-number, for example A3? Let's take a look.
The formula is almost the same but subtracts 1 more from the row number (in this case 3) as to take the same value as the previous cell( in this case A2).
We get 2+(3-3)/2 =2 = column B just as you wanted it to be "cell a3 - formula is =sheet1$b1"

Upvote 0
Sorry for double posting, but i wanted to clear that up first. To add the sheet to the cell reference, adjust the INDIRECT formula into
Code:
=INDIRECT([COLOR=#ff0000]CONCATENATE("'Sheet1'!";[/COLOR]ADDRESS(...)[COLOR=#ff0000])[/COLOR])

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back