Lookup

skuddyb

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to split some rows in excel based on what category their expenditure falls into. I have Col 1 with a list of job numbers and Col 2, 3 are different types of expense such as artwork, creative, data, and so on.

What I want to do is use a function that will let me split the jobs into what type of cost they were. For example if one job is creative and one job is equipment I wish to have tables with them all listed in. There are hundreds of jobs and I don't want to sift through them all.

I have tried to use VLOOKUP but can't seem to get it to work. Anyone able to provide some life saving answers?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Could you give an example of your data in a table?

Not as such due to the the data itself.

Col1 - Job Numbers
Col 2 - Creative Costs
Col 4 - Artwork Costs
Col 6 - Mgmt Costs
etc

What I need to do is associate job numbers to the area that their cost falls into. When I finish I need a lists of Job Number - Area of Cost - Cost.

Say job number xxxx has a creative cost of 10,000 and job number xxxy has an artwork cost of 2,000 I need to be able to pull the job number and put it next to the corresponding cost then drag all the way down to populate the list. If a cost is 0 i need it to return FALSE or no Cost.

Upvote 0
invent some data for like 5 rows

Job NumberCreativeArtworkMgmt

<tbody>
</tbody>

I used VLOOKUP with my array INVOICE_NO but it won't let me drag down and complete for the rest of the job numbers.

On a separate worksheet I have all the job numbers in Col1 and I wish to make as many tables as there is Cost Areas in order to analyse each one further.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Ok, so now you want out of this a table with Creative-jobs, another with artwork-jobs and another with management-jobs? Like this?
Creative jobs-id
Cost

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Yes please. I have managed to Get VLOOKUP to work then used pivot tables from there. Is there a more efficient way of doing it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back