Pulling Data from A RAND() Built Simulation with Macros

Michael515

Board Regular
Hi All,

I don't have a Monte Carlo Simulation Add-in (if any of you know of a good free one please let me know), so what I did was use the randbetween() function and then used and =if to create probabilistic choices (ex. I am building a model to forecast financial projections, but not entirely comfortable with my assumptions, that is why I'm building in uncertainty. So for example I have small growth, mid growth, and large growth at 50% probable, 30%, and 20% respectively, therefore I built a randbetween(1,10) and then in the following cell and =if to say that if the randbetween() is between 1 and 5, then small growth of 3 new customers).

After I built in the various uncertainties, I built out a normal financial projections model (revenue, expenses, EBITDA) in order to forecast the bottom line 5 years out and used the =sum to total the 5 years of EBITDA. I created a button with a macro (the macro just clicks the F9 buttom but I linked it with the button so instead of having to use the keys, a less seasoned excel user can just click the button) to refresh the data.

Now I want to find a way to pull the data: Create a macro that goes to the summed up EBITDA, clicks the button, copies the summed up EBITDA, goes to a new sheet, pastes it, and inserts to the next cell. I want to do this so that I can use keys to get 1000 pieces of data to run an analysis on the different EBITDAs (basically artificially create a simulation). The problem I have run into during the recording of the macro is that the refresh button now doesn't work and when I copy/paste (even if I set the paste to just values) and click enter the cell i had copy and pasted into returned a N/A# I am not particularly an expert in macros, so maybe what I am trying to do is beyond its capabilities, but I figured I give this forum a shot.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back