CommandButton renamed at user's computer - what???

melodramatic

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created a macro user input interface, where users can input the info that will go to the project management files, and then simply press one of four command buttons, depending on what they want to do. The command buttons pull up the appropriate macro.

With a base of almost 100 users for this file, ONE person is having issues. He cannot run any of the macros using my commandbuttons, as his computer will not recognize the commandbutton names.

My command buttons:
- ButtonCreateNewMDR (brings up the "CreateNewMDR" macro) - on his machine, the button shows up as CommandButton1
- ButtonGetDocCtrlNum (brings up the "GetDocCtrlNum" macro) - on his machine, the button shows up as CommandButton2
- ButtonOpenEditMDR (brings up the "OpenEditMDR" macro) - on his machine, the button shows up as CommandButton3
- ButtonPrintMDR (brings up the "PrintMDR" macro) - on his machine, the button shows up as CommandButton4

It's weird - if he tries to go to properties, he can see the properties of the command button (albeit with a wrong name), but if he goes to read the coding for the button, it brings up the correctly named button. Since the two are different, the buttons he sees won't bring up the macros.

At one point, the macro kept bombing out on him. In my macro coding, at the end of the macro, once the project file closes, I tell the macro to go back to the user interface file, and I added that it was to go to the "Input" sheet. That's where he bombed out - his machine recognized that sheet as "Sheet1", not "Input" (which is what it's named in the file). But, when you look at the sheet on his computer, it clearly shows the tab is named "Input." I've fixed this issue by removing the line that sends us to the correct sheet. Since it's the only visible sheet, that line is not an issue - it was more habit on my part to put it there.

I've taught him to use the [Alt]+[F8] to bring up the macro, and that works fine. But, I can't figure out what the heck the problem with his Excel is. His suggestion that I re-do the file so that it reads commandbutton1, etc., is not going to happen. I have my system, I use my system.

I have double-checked that he did not copy down the user interface (macro) file - everyone has been instructed to only use a shortcut (thus assuring they'll pick up any changes I make). He has not.

We're using Excel 2010 & Windows 7 Professional. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
That sounds very much like this bug: Office Update breaks ActiveX controls | Excel Matters

I suspect that one user doesn't have quite the same patches etc as everyone else. Unless you have a particular requirement for the ActiveX buttons, I'd strongly recommend you switch to the Form versions, or use a custom Ribbon tab/group.

Upvote 0
Because of some files which require the ActiveX, I've gotten in the habit of using them. Until this guy, never had a problem.

Although, the ActiveX itself can't be the problem with him - remember that he can't pick up the command from the sheet to go to the "Input" sheet - his properties read that the sheet is "Sheet1", even though the tab shows it to be "Input".

Upvote 0
Yeah that sounds very much like that bug. When that problem first arose, I saw workbooks where the compiler would complain about a blank module with just Option Explicit in it.

Upvote 0
OK, if it's nothing that's a definite Excel known issue, I'm just going to let him know that he needs to continue with the [Alt]+[F8] option. This is the only one of my macros that this user accesses, so not a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back