CommandButton help needed

MPW

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have 22 commandbuttons in a 2010 workbook.
When I open the workbook I get the following message:
Code:
Can't exit design mode because Control CommandButton22 can not be created.
If I click 'ok', I can then proceed to the sheet and click the button. It works fine.

When I save and close the workbook and reopen it I get the same message referring to the 1st command button.

Every time I save and close the worksheet it will crash, toggling between the 1st button and the last button.

While the workbook still functions correctly after this, it is clear that something is not correct with it.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
To put some closure on this, I thought I would write down my solution for this issue.

From what I understand, activex buttons on a worksheet require .DLL files which are not actually part of the Excel program. However, Userform controls are actually built into the Excel environment and do not need to look outside of the program. If I am wrong about this please feel free to correct me.

With this in mind, I decided to create a userform and userform controls to meet my needs. So far this seems to be the best answer I have found.

The more I read about activex and the problems with it in the office environment (and other environments as well), the more I want to try to move away from it. I have been battling these phantom problems for several years. Hopefully this will put it to rest.

Upvote 0
Yes, however I did experience it long before that, but that update made it go down hill. I was able to uninstall updates to make it work with 2003, but that fouls up 2010. Problem was enhanced by having both versions on several of our machines. I think moving away from activex is the healthy answer.

Upvote 0
Yes, however I did experience it long before that, but that update made it go down hill. I was able to uninstall updates to make it work with 2003, but that fouls up 2010. Problem was enhanced by having both versions on several of our machines. I think moving away from activex is the healthy answer.
I thought it would be good to state that I removed all activex objects from the sheet and created a userform with identical controls. This eliminated the need for activex altogether. Totally solved many issues.

My conclusion was that activex is evil and I will not use it any longer.
I did this back in 2015 and have never regretted the decision.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back