Excel 2013 Workbooks Breaking

crider816

I'd consider myself to have advanced visual basic knowledge and capabilities, however a project I've been working on for a month or so is in risk of being thrown away as my workbook is having issues every time I run a procedure that places formulas into cells. I run into a problem where if I then type in a value on the spreadsheet that I'm manipulating with VBA then the spreadsheet becomes unresponsive, as in I can't use Freeze Panes to view the spreadsheet without excel glitching out, or whenever I type a value into the worksheet it just disappears after I hit enter.

I have figured out how to get it to work again. And it's by stepping through a macro like this.

Code:
Sub applicationSaver()    Application.EnableEvents = False: Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = True: Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

I cant just run this code it only works when I step through it by hitting F8
Any help will be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Here's an update, as long as I step into code the application works fine after. I just can't be stepping into/out of code repeatedly for this application.

So the question now is, to work around this bug, how do I replicate stepping into/out of visual basic code without forcing the user to do that.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
I'm guessing somewhere in your code you have Application.EnableEvents = False and thats partly why you can only recover when this is run

Code:
Sub applicationSaver()
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Sub applicationSaver2()
    With Application
        .EnableEvents = False
        .ScreenUpdating = False
    End With
    With Application
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End Sub

have you Option Explicit at the top of the module outside the sub, does the code compile

Upvote 0
I use option explicit religiously, the code compiles it just pasted incorrectly into the forum post. I went ahead and tried both your examples you posted and again it only works when the code is stepped into. When I type into a cell the entire cell is greyed, out like it's selected or something, and then when I hit enter the numbers I just typed disappear and nothing happens. And I've gone and tested it with a different section of code that looks like this

Code:
Sub testIt()

Dim a as string
a = "Test"

End Sub

I guess I don't know what is happening when code is stepped into with VBA, because if I did I would be able to replicate it! (hopefully)

Thanks again for any help!

Upvote 0
is the workbook shared or protected (as for not working the four instructions will run through and not be seen by the human eye. If you left click in the border next to a line of code you will get a dot, then when you are in the sub press F5 and it should just run to the dot, you can use escape to get out of that

Upvote 0
It is a shared workbook however there are no protection settings on the workbook at this time. (or have there ever been, but I plan on putting protection on it later)

Upvote 0
unshare it and try your code again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back