VBA to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

excel_vba_1

Hello Everyone!

I have to copy data from 10+ workbooks and paste it into a master workbook.
All the workbooks are located in a folder on my desktop: C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1

All the workbooks contain a sheet named 'appendix B', I have to open each workbook, go to sheet 'appendix B’, select columns range C to F starting from row 6 to row ‘x'(the last row can vary in each workbook), cntrl+v (copy), and paste the data range into master worksheet. In the master worksheet, I paste the data in Columns A to D and continue pasting/appending the data as I copy data from more workbooks. Eventually, the master workbook has the data in columns A to D from every workbook in one sheet.

The columns range C to F and starting from row 6 always remains constant in all the sheets (appendix B ) of every workbook. Each workbook contains 7 sheets, but I am only interested in sheet ‘appendix B’

I have to repeat the same steps for 10-30 workbooks and continue pasting/appending the data into master sheet. So, I was wondering if someone could please help me to create a VBA code for this? I'm really new to VBA and would really appreciate your help!

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Many thanks! =)

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hello Mumps,
This is a very good code.
Are you able to assist me in a similar code?

I have 6 files saved on a local drive (in a folder called Automobiles) and would want them to be added to a master workbook (master_file) in their specific worksheet. Each file has its own worksheet and I would want to copy everything from row 2 to the last row from the files and paste them into row 2 of each worksheet.

Example:
6 files (saved on a C Drive - automobile folder)
Car1.xlsx (will be pasted into car1 worksheet)
Car2.xlsx (will be pasted into car22 worksheet)
Car3.xlsx (will be pasted into car3 worksheet)
Car4.xlsx (will be pasted into car4 worksheet)
Car5.xlsx (will be pasted into car5 worksheet)
Car6.xlsx (will be pasted into car56 worksheet)

I would greatly appreciate your help on this issue for me. Thank you!

Upvote 0
@Gary24: Welcome to the Forum. According to Forum rules, you should not post your question in another person's thread. Please start a new thread. If you send me a private message with a link to your thread, I'll be happy to have a look at it. Include a link to this thread if you think it is useful. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you so Much.. your code worked perfectly.

I had an extra space in one of the lines. Try:
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("*.xls*")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("appendix B").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets("appendix B").Range("C6:F" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
I had an extra space in one of the lines. Try:
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("*.xls*")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("appendix B").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets("appendix B").Range("C6:F" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Hi what would I do if I wanted to copy specific rows from the multiple workbooks based on a criteria in the master file. For instance I have many files with clients info and I want to open all the workbooks and only pull the rows where the specific clients name is in column A and be able to do this for many clients. So like I have a cell where I enter the client info then run the macro to open all the files in the folder and just pull their specific rows

Upvote 0
@koehlkm12
Welcome to the Forum. According to Forum rules, you should not post your question in another member's thread. Please start your own thread. If you find this thread useful, you can post a link to this thread in yours. If you send me a private message with a link to your new thread. I'll be happy to have a look. :)

Upvote 0
Hello @mumps. I am creating something similar to what it's in this thread. However, my master sheet doesnt have the same number of columns with the multiple workbooks I intend to copy data from (it contains some more columns ) So I'm wondering if it is still possible to transfer data from the workbooks to the master sheet while having those extra columns in the master remaining blank? I will appreciate your prompt response. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back