VBA Code to Format Individual Data Points Based Upon Adjacent Cell Values

This is a discussion on VBA Code to Format Individual Data Points Based Upon Adjacent Cell Values within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Suppose I have a data set that looks like this: Position, Reading, Gage, Setting 1.3, 24, 1, A 1.6, 27, ...

Default VBA Code to Format Individual Data Points Based Upon Adjacent Cell Values

Suppose I have a data set that looks like this:

Position, Reading, Gage, Setting
    1.3, 24, 1, A
    1.6, 27, 2, A
    1.7, 22, 1, B
    1.8, 21, 2, B
    1.1, 25, 2, A

Naturally, I'm working with a bigger data set, but key points are we have an independent variable "Position", a dependent variable "Reading", and two categorical variables "Gage" and "Setting".

If I have a scatter plot in excel (X=>Position, Y=>Reading), how would I write a macro to set the color of the data point markers based upon the value in "Gage" column and the type of the data point markers based upon the value in the "Setting" column. I'm having trouble figuring out how to identify the location of the cell for a given point object. I've found similar code for changing whole series' format, but it relies on the formula for the series object. I'm not aware of the point object having a formula to "borrow from".

Here's that example:

FormulaSplit = Split(MySeries.Formula, ",")

Set SourceRange = Range(FormulaSplit(2)).Item(1)

Default Re: VBA Code to Format Individual Data Points Based Upon Adjacent Cell Values

Hi jgjengr,

what you're looking for is basically something like this: Excel ScatterPlot with labels, colors and markers
    A non-VBA alternative: Conditional Formatting of Excel Charts - Peltier Tech Blog

Hope that helps,

Koen
    You can't post attachments here, but you can help me helping you by posting a screen shot directly in your post with any of those tools.
    And although it's against forum rules, otherwise use dropbox/google drive/etc to get your file accross.
    Finally, please show that you made an effort to solve your problem: Yes, I like to help, but am not going to do your job.