Conditional Formatting - Icon Sets w/Formula

bolwahnn

Hey Guys,
Here's the situation: I have a list of clients that have satisfaction scores that I want to attach conditional formatting to (specifically a Icon set of Green, Yellow, Red). Simple enough right? The problem is, depending on the client, there's 2 different scales of score (a 10 point scale and 7 point scale). So naturally I'll need to add 2 different conditional formats scales. In addition the order of the list of clients can change so I need a way for the conditional format to say if its client X to use this conditional format, if not, use the other conditional format.

I was thinking I create a name range list for this but I cant get it to work....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zeke

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Excel has some restrictions on Icon Sets in Conditional Formatting. Specifically, you can't use relative referencing in the formulas. This limits some options. If you are willing to use plain highlighting instead of the icon sets, you can do something like this:

ABCDEF
1Al7AlCal
2Bob7Service11
3Cal10Speed33
4Don10Accuracy44
5Ed7Politeness55
6Overall78

<tbody>
</tbody>

The CF formulas are:

Green format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 > VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.67)

Yellow format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 > VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.33)

Red format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 < VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.33)

These should be entered in this order, and the "Stop if True" box should be checked on them.

Let me know if that will work for you.

Upvote 0
Excel has some restrictions on Icon Sets in Conditional Formatting. Specifically, you can't use relative referencing in the formulas. This limits some options. If you are willing to use plain highlighting instead of the icon sets, you can do something like this:

ABCDEF
1Al7AlCal
2Bob7Service11
3Cal10Speed33
4Don10Accuracy44
5Ed7Politeness55
6Overall78

<tbody>
</tbody>

The CF formulas are:

Green format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 > VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.67)

Yellow format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 > VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.33)

Red format:
=(ISNUMBER(E1))*(E1 < VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)*0.33)

These should be entered in this order, and the "Stop if True" box should be checked on them.

Let me know if that will work for you.

Eric,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really need this to work with the Icon Set that looks like a traffic light. The reason for that is because my data is just a small set of data for a report that we provide to the executive team and they really like this format. Any way to do this with the Traffic light Icon set?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try using a helper column with your 7 or 10 point scale calculated, then apply the icon set formatting:

Excel 2010
ABCD
1CompanyPointsScaleResult
2A570.714286
3B8100.8
4C7100.7
5D670.857143
6E470.571429
7F6100.6
8G771
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=B2/C2

In Column D, apply icon set formatting with green, yellow, red lights assigned to percentages, e.g. (>=67% green; >=33% yellow; red)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The icon sets are nice, but they really do have limitations. In order to use the icon sets, here's my best stab at it, but it's not elegant.

Excel 2010
ABCDEF
1Al7AlCal
2Bob7Service11
3Cal10Speed33
4Don10Accuracy44
5Ed7Politeness57
6Overall78

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E9=VLOOKUP(E$1,$A$1:$B$5,2)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

This extract doesn't show the icons, but on my sheet, Al has 1 red, 3 4 5 yellow, and 7 green. Cal has 1 3 red, 4 yellow, and 7 8 green.

I don't know how close this is to your sheet, but in order to get it to work, you have to create a CF rule on EVERY column. E and F here, and as far over as you have clients. Then you have a formula somewhere in the column that shows the maximum value in the range (E9 in this example). This formula, fortunately, can use relative references, and can be copied to the right. This is a simple version of the formula, you'd probably want to incorporate "not found" logic in it. Then you can hide that row. Once you have the sheet set up, you can change the order of the clients around as much as you'd like.

It would probably be possible to write a macro to create all those rules, but it would be dependent on how your sheet is designed.

If you can use a helper column like jtakw suggests, then his solution might work for you.

If I think of something more elegant, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time on this Eric! I'm going to apply jtakw suggestion as I believe that is the easiest way to get this resolved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back