Can I use an array as pivot table source data?

Bagharmin

Board Regular
Currently, my code takes data from the master table, creates a secondary table on another sheet, then refreshes the source data range of the Pivot Table and Pivot Chart that are on a 3rd sheet. I've done this since, based on the way the data in the master table is structured (and changing the layout isn't an option), I can't create a Pivot Table and Chart that show the data the way I need. My question is, instead of my code spitting out the raw data onto a second sheet so I can create the table I want, can I dump the data into an array and have VBA create the Pivot Table and Chart (instead of just refreshing it) using that array as the source data? If I did that, would I run into problems if someone wanted to change the look of the Pivot Table/Chart?

Just looking for general input and guidance. Thanks so much.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
If your data has a modest size, the pivot table source data can be a worksheet table, I see no disadvantages in that.
VBA can create a pivot table and chart from the sheet table.
With big data, it may be interesting to create the pivot from an external database. The code below produces a pivot from an Access database. It’s an example where the source data is not in any sheet.

Code:
Sub FromAccess()
Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ThisWorkbook

wb.Connections.Add2 "Campaign_Template", "A sample database table.", Array( _
"OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\Users\Eddie\Desktop\Campaign_Template.mdb;Mode=Share " _
, _
"Deny Write;Extended Properties="""";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLE" _
, _
"DB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet " _
, _
"OLEDB:New Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Loca" _
, _
"le on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Jet OLEDB:Support Complex Data=False;Jet " _
, _
"OLEDB:Bypass UserInfo Validation=False;Jet OLEDB:Limited DB Caching=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass ChoiceField Validation=False"), "Campaign_Table", 3

wb.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlExternal, SourceData:=wb.Connections("Campaign_Template"), Version:= _
xlPivotTableVersion15).CreatePivotTable TableDestination:="Plan7!R20C8", _
TableName:="Pivot4", DefaultVersion:=xlPivotTableVersion15

With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Pivot4").PivotFields("City")
    .Orientation = xlPageField
    .Position = 1
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi

I don't think you can build a pivot table directly from an array.

The closest I see, not using tables or ranges in the worksheet, just vba, is to use an ADO disconnected recordset (a bit like a database table but without the database :) ).

You'd load the values of your array into the recordset. A pivot table accepts a recordset as the data source, so you should be good.

Not sure how efficient this is is but I tested something like this some years ago (not sure I posted it) and it worked OK.

If you really don't want any auxilliary table this is something you can explore.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back