Linest and the if function

stretch2011

I've been working on this for about a week now. I am new to this site, but have read through previous linest problems. Sadly, I couldn't incorporate any to my specific case.

I am trying to set up a worksheet so that it gives a graph with a regression line and the R^2 (accomplished),calculates a low, ideal, and high values for the different regression lines (accomplished), and chooses the best regression line given R^2(accomplished).

The problem: Setting this up so that no formulas need to be changed given different quantities of cells. I had it working fine for a 10 shot process, but if any cells were left blank (i.e. 8 shot process) it returned a #value. I managed to use an if statement to work around this if 1 cell is blank. Although I must say it seems like the value if true and value if false should be switched (doesn't work that way). If excel had a loop function my life would be so much easier.

I can provide an example worksheet that has left out all the fancy stuff and focuses on creating a linest function that works for different amounts of cells, but I am not seeing where to attach documents on this site.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Thank you Aladin, very helpful.

You are welcome.

GooberTrop: I am not, I'm doing all the regressions except for polynomials.

One more question if I may.

Do you know the linest, or logest equation for an exponential regression and a power regression?

Let me rephrase that. Do you know the linest, or logest "function" for an exponential regression and a power regression? I know the y= equations.

See the links GooberTron posted and the Excel help file on LOGEST, GROWTH, TREND, and FORECAST.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Those are very nice GooverTron, but my problem with it the growth functioin is it doesn't return all the statistical data.

I can manipulate the logest and linest functions to give me the correct r^2 and slope, or r^2 and y intercept, but never all 3 for either regressions. I used the index method to get the correct values, double checking against the graph. I was hoping to get the statistical info too, but if not then it is no huge deal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back