Dynamic Chart without using Macros

BHunter

Board Regular
I am trying to make a chart that will change based on the active cell's row.

This workbook will be used exclusively on iPads for field work. As far as I know the ios version of excel does not support macros so I will have to make this chart without using macros.

I've figured out how to do it using a macro
Dynamic chart based on cell selection
This method uses a macro to determine determine the selected cells row and column which then populates a 'helper' / hidden column with the data from the active cells column. The helper column is then used as the data for the chart.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this without using VBA? (see ios comment above)

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hello,

I wrote the blog post you are referring to. The method described uses the Worksheet_SelectionChange event. This is a VBA event that monitors if the cell selection changes and can be used to kick of actions in such a case.

Currently, Excel has no other means than VBA to determine the position (row/column) of the currently selected cell. If you need an approach that does not use VBA and will work on Excel for iPad, then you may need to look into formula solutions, but there will need to be an element of human interaction, for example a cell where the user specifies a value. This could be the row number or a product code or a date or some such. Based on that user input, formulas can be built to populate the range of cells that feed the chart.

If you need input on how to do that, please pipe up.

cheers,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and original blog post teylyn.

Am I safe to assume there's no way of extracting anything from the active cell without using VBA? If I could get the active cell's value that would work alright for me.

If I have to use the user input to populate the range, I'll give it my college best before bugging you for help. The best way to learn is to do, right. I'm assuming I can make something work with a vlookup or hlookup.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back