Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: double cell reference?

Quick question: I have two cells (D34, D36)in a sheet named "Critical.Data" that I would like to reference into a single cell (A3) on a separate worksheet named "Summary". In other words, I would like "A3" in the "Summary" sheet to list the values contained in both "D34" and "D36" from "Critical Data". Also, I would like the two values to be separated by a slash ("/")...any ideas?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-02-28 13:56, Anonymous wrote:
    Quick question: I have two cells (D34, D36)in a sheet named "Critical.Data" that I would like to reference into a single cell (A3) on a separate worksheet named "Summary". In other words, I would like "A3" in the "Summary" sheet to list the values contained in both "D34" and "D36" from "Critical Data". Also, I would like the two values to be separated by a slash ("/")...any ideas?
    Try putting this in A3
    =CONCATENATE(Critical.Data!D34,"/",Critical.Data!D36)

Regards,

Gary Hewitt-Long

Better still try this:

=Critical.Data!D34&"/"&Critical.Data!D36

Thanks for the tip...now I have a question...I am using this formula now in a variety of instances, and have come across the following problem-

In one instance, I am bringing the values from two separate cells into the same cell as explained- one is a plain number, and the other is a %. The thing is, when i bring them together, the % loses its format (ie- it doesn't read 4.01%, it now reads .0041) I can't simply format the cell, b/c it will change the other figure into a %, which I do not want. Is there any way I can only format the second value I am bringing into the cell?

Also, another problem I am running into has to do with a web query- I am pulling another piece of info from another sheet in similar fashion, but the problem is that this number changes from a date to a plain number throughout the day. Thus, the cell to which I am referencing it needs to be formatted in a way in which it recognizes this and formats accordingly (formats date when a the cell shows a date, and formats a plain number when it shows a regular number) Don't know if this is confusing or if anyone can help...Thanks!

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dunno about the web thing, but the %age formatting could go something like this :

=Critical.Data!D34&"/"&TEXT(Critical.Data!D36,"#,###.00%")

adjust the decimals to suit your needs

:: Pharma Z - Family drugstore ::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or just:

=Critical.Data!D34&"/"&Critical.Data!D36*100&"%"
    ~Anne Troy

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like