From Excel 2013 VBA Open PowerPoint 2013 and Update Links

davidb88

Board Regular
Hi. I have an excel workbook that is automatically updated with new data that then changes charts embedded into the workbook on a weekly basis. I also have a powerpoint deck that has those charts as linked charts and set to automatically update when the powerpoint is opened.

What I would like to do is to create a macro that from the excel file will open the powerpoint deck and update the links. I found that I am able to open the powerpoint with the following code, but because it is opening from a macro, I suspect, the links within the deck do not refresh.

Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Set PPT = New PowerPoint.Application
PPT.Visible = True
PPT.Presentations.Open Filename:="C:\Operations Weekly Deck - 02.08.2016.pptx"

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

I then found another thread with a similar question that was answered with using the following code. However, when I try to implement it I receive a 429 error saying "ActiveX component can't create object". I have the active X reference library selected as well as the MS PowerPoint reference library selected. Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong with my current code or maybe a different suggestion completely?

Code:
Sub powerpoint_refresh()

Dim pApp As Object
Dim pPreso As Object
Dim pSlide As Object
Dim sPreso As String

sPreso = "C:\Operations Weekly Deck - 02.08.2016.pptx"
Set pApp = GetObject(, "PowerPoint.application")
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Set pApp = CreateObject("PowerPoint.application")
pApp.Visible = True
End If

Set pPreso = pApp.Presentations(sPreso)
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Set pPreso = paoo.Presentations.Open(Filename:=sPreso)
End If

pPreso.UpdateLinks
End Sub

Thanks! :)

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
That's probably because you're trying to get an instance of PowerPoint when one doesn't exist. In other words, PowerPoint isn't already running. So, in this case, an error occurs. And, since you haven't used an "On Error" statement, the macro stops when the error occurs.

The same thing will happen later on in your code when you try to assign a PowerPoint presentation to a variable and it doesn't exist. Because you haven't used an "On Error" statement, an error will occur and the macro will stop.

Try something like this (untested)...

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Option[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Explicit[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] powerpoint_refresh()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] pApp [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] pPreso [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] pSlide [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sPath [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sPreso [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]

sPath = "C:\"
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Right(sPath, 1) <> "\" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        sPath = sPath & "\"
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]

sPreso = "Operations Weekly Deck - 02.08.2016.pptx"

[COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Len(Dir(sPath & sPreso, vbNormal)) = 0 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        MsgBox "The specified file does not exist.", vbExclamation
        [COLOR=darkblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] pApp = GetObject(, "PowerPoint.Application")
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Err.Number <> 0 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] pApp = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
        pApp.Visible = [COLOR=darkblue]True[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]GoTo[/COLOR] 0

[COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] pPreso = pApp.Presentations(sPreso)
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Err.Number <> 0 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] pPreso = pApp.Presentations.Open(Filename:=sPath & sPreso)
    [COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]GoTo[/COLOR] 0

pPreso.UpdateLinks

[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thank you! Your code worked perfectly. I didn't realize I'd need an error statement to keep the query going and prevent the macro from stopping, but your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back