Linest Ignore Blank Cells

Oprichnick

Board Regular
Hy,

I have data like:

X: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Forecasting

Y: 10 15 12 14 15 19 (linest^{1,2})

Is it possible to get Linest ignoring Y blanks and use only X values to which there are numeric values for Y?

I tried the following formula:

=LINEST(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Z2);Q2:Z2);(IF(ISNUMBER($Q$2:$Z$2);$Q$1:$Z$1))^{1;2})

Also tried Q2:Z2<>"";Q1;Z1

It also returns #VALUE!

Maybe this is not the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance,
Pedro

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=LINEST(INDEX(Q2:Y2,N(IF(1,MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2),(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1;1}))))),INDEX($Q$1:$Y$1,N(IF(1,MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2),(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1;1})))))^{1,2})

For your version of Excel, though, I think you'll need to use the following formula that also needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=LINEST(INDEX(Q2:Y2;N(IF(1;MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2);(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1\1})))));INDEX($Q$1:$Y$1;N(IF(1;MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2);(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1\1})))))^{1;2})

Hope this helps!

Reactions: shg
Upvote 0
Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=LINEST(INDEX(Q2:Y2,N(IF(1,MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2),(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1;1}))))),INDEX($Q$1:$Y$1,N(IF(1,MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2),(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1;1})))))^{1,2})

For your version of Excel, though, I think you'll need to use the following formula that also needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=LINEST(INDEX(Q2:Y2;N(IF(1;MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2);(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1\1})))));INDEX($Q$1:$Y$1;N(IF(1;MODE.MULT(IF(ISNUMBER(Q2:Y2);(COLUMN(Q2:Y2)-COLUMN(Q2)+1)*{1\1})))))^{1;2})

Hope this helps!

Hy,
Thanks for the reply.

It returns #N/A error

I can't figure out what it might be

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
One other thought... for the cells containing your "Y" values... if they occur consecutively so that there are no blank cells between the relevant ones, you can use dynamic named ranges to define the relevant ranges... so the ranges for the formula will automatically adjust as data is added... and this way, there would be no need to use a complex formula like the one that I offered.

Upvote 0
Hy Domenic,
Thanks a lot. Your previous solution is perfectly working.
It was a "translation" problem :)

Best Regards

Upvote 0
You're very welcome. Glad I could help. So which language and version of Excel are you using? And how does you formula look like after it has been translated?

Upvote 0
I'm using 2010 and it is in English, but some bits are in european fashion. Like "," and ";".

I haven't completely understood what was the problem, but you gave a very simple and useful tool for future translation problems I'll have.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. So maybe your system uses a comma (,) instead of a backslash (\) for a vertical array separator. In any case, I'm glad you have what you need.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
There are previous answers below and older threads to this but the solutions were too difficult for me to follow:

To make life simpler order your data first so that the blank y values always appear at the end, but you don't know how many there will be?

Assuming x values are in row 1 and the corresponding y values are in row 2 from cell E onwards then enter the following array formula across two neighbouring cells assuming at most 19 entries and it should select the correct range.

{=LINEST(CHOOSE(COUNT(E2:W2),E2,E2:F2,E2:G2,E2:H2,E2:I2,E2:J2,E2:K2,E2:L2,E2:M2,E2:N2,E2:O2,E2:P2,E2:Q2,E2:R2,E2:S2,E2:T2,E2:U2,E2:V2,E2:W2),CHOOSE(COUNT(E2:W2),E1,E1:F1,E1:G1,E1:H1,E1:I1,E1:J1,E1:K1,E1:L1,E1:M1,E1:N1,E1:O1,E1:P1,E1:Q1,E1:R1,E1:S1,E1:T1,E1:U1,E1:V1,E1:W1)) }

Note W corresponds to 19th entry, extend if you have more than 19 entries. Count(E2:W2) in 2nd part is not a typo as this assumes that there could be x values with blank y which you wish to ignore.

In practice if you always have the same x values, then use the $1 for row 1, and extend row 2 downwards for each set of y observations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back