Animating text in Excel

misterg

Board Regular
All,

Just wondered if there was a way of scrolling text within a merged range, for no purpose other than adding an effect.

Answers on a postcard team...

G

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Have tried to configure animation in Excel 2002,but did not succeed my friend.I dont think it is possible in this manner. :cool:

Upvote 0
Jack,

I'm wondering if using iteration might achieve this somehow ?

I *think* I saw this employed a little while ago in a "game of life" spreadsheet that sort of replicated how spores grew and died in a petri-dish

any thoughts ?

:)

Upvote 0
Hi Chris

As a fine friend I extend this and choose to answer this fully I did not want to get involved as you have sussed and not quite said YES I can animate in Excel with ease (well painful ease) I am very poor at this highly complex level of VB and VBA nested scripts.

I did not want to say this either as VBA guru will hang me but I believe as I have found that VBA can recognize VB commands and text even thou VBA don’t have these lines.

Take *Case* this can only be an integer, and can anyone prove me wrong, I hope so..

So what if I want a case JACK and then case Chris??? I can’t but of cause I have said billions of time cant, is more we don’t know but Excel does.

YES I can Case Jack with ease.

Back to movement. I can move image about rotate word art or anything I feel like, but it take years for me to re do the scripts. And all the testing and messing.

BUT as it’s a script you can’t use Excel as this runs, its no a web page so you can view a image and move about.

Ill leave it there, if I can ill email you a project I have not mastered yes that have loads of movement I programmed in VBA.. But when im finished this would be one from a download zone. And of cause I make everything a snip to edit.

Yes you can,….. no I have not the time to invest into this.

Does that help….

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-25 03:45, misterg wrote:
All,

Just wondered if there was a way of scrolling text within a merged range, for no purpose other than adding an effect.

Answers on a postcard team...

G

Well, ther are a number of ways you can do this, using API and timers, IeTimers and the easiest (see below).
Note: There are any number of variations to this theme that you can consider.
eg. Using Different Fonts (Wingdings) to get different graphics effect, Bold, color etc.

This should get you started though.

Following just animates a string in D5
If you play around with the timing, TextFont and colour you can get good efffects.

<pre/>

Sub Tester1()
Dim sp As String
Dim sTxt As String
Dim x As Integer, y As Integer
Dim Start, delay

sTxt = "Hi there!!"

For y = 1 To 15 '15 Loops through the scrolling
For x = 1 To 30 'Index number of times
Start = Timer 'Set start to internal timer
delay = Start + 0.15 'Set delay for .15 secs

Do While Timer < delay 'Do the display routine
[D6] = Space(x) & sTxt 'Show 1 str @ a time
DoEvents 'do there things
Loop 'Loop until delay is up
DoEvents
Start = Timer 'and reset the timer
delay = Start + 0.15 'and the delay
Next x 'Show the next str
Next y 'Do this again - 15

[D6] = "" 'Reset

End Sub
</pre>

Upvote 0
You can use msoAnimation (look it up in Excel VBA help) to animate the assistant as a part of your macro code. You can also use the scroll function to move the display view.

More in-line with your question you can use VBA to add a portion or letter at a time to a cell or box with a timer or loop. This method will slow down the operation of your code, make the save file bigger and in my experience annoy the user if used too much after the novelty of the affect wears off. JSW

Upvote 0
Ivan,

Absolute genius...works a treat!

Go to the front of the class and let everyone see you for the star you are.

Many thanks

G

Upvote 0
Hi ivan,thanks for the excellent code.but there is a problem-when i write the code and save its running fine,but when i exit the book and re-open it its didnt work.
and when i again play the code its runing,what is the soliution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back