File will not open

rdorr

I have a file (which shows as being 461K file, which is about right) that will not open.
When I try to open it it asks the usual macro question (I have tried both "Y" & "N"), and it then the shows the microsoft folder icon being opened and pages being removed and thats it! The screen remains blank.

What could be wrong?

Thanks Robert

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Does excel open up ?
If so then try clicking on the Window
command and select (If not dimmed out)
Unhide window.....??

Ivan

Upvote 0
Try opening it without the auto_open macro. When you open the file hold the SHIFT key.

The other open macro is the workbook_open macro. Before opening the file (If the SHIFT key method fails), in another file/workbook, paste the code:

sub stopevnts()
application.enableevents = false
end sub

run this (if the first solution doesn't help) and then open the file.

I think events will be re-enable if you close Excel and restart. If you need them sooner, run:

sub startevnts()
application.enableevents = true
end sub

HTH. Cheers,

Nate
This message was edited by NateO on 2002-02-28 18:58

Upvote 0
Hello again,
“Ivans" post and “Nate's” Shift Key option did not work.
I have no expertise with VBA but I tried Nate's code option which did not work either but to confirm that I did it correctly I have listed below what I did (in Excel Office 97)
Open "NewBook"
Alt F-11
"This workbook"
right click and "insert"
"New Module" (named stop evnts)
typed code "application.enableevents=false"
Exit to 'NewBook"
Ran "Macro"
Open "Problem File"

Results same as in original post.
Did I do everything correctly and for my own eduction, what was this code supposed to do?
Any other suggestions?

Regards..........Robert

Upvote 0
Hi ==

I have answered this type of question many time, suggest check my profile and then view my posts, your find a few with other posts also, worth looking up.. Alos try search on this new board and old as i and many posted there also.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi ==

I have answered this type of question many time, suggest check my profile and then view my posts, your find a few with other posts also, worth looking up.. Alos try search on this new board and old as i and many posted there also.

HTH

Hello Jack,
I searched your postings for over 10 pages and could not detect anything related, could you please provide some search hints or, better yet a link?

I have a 'workbook macro' that every second invokes and a macro in 'Module 1' to interrogate a dde.xls file to see if there are any updates. Suddenly when I open the Excel file I get a gray page with no spreadsheet, yet Window shows the file to be open and Tools/Macro/Edit allows me to see the Macros.

What can I do in order to get the spreadsheet to become visible? (Windows/Unhide is grayed out).

Thanks!

Tom

PS- I'm a novice with Excel Macros, using Excel 2000 on a Windows XP PC.

Upvote 0
SOLVED! After fumbling for hours searching online I stumbled upon the answer:

With the problem file "open" (i.e. just a gray page with no workbook visible, yet the file showing in Window as open and MyMacro accessible via Tools/Macro), this is what reinstated the worksheets to become visible:

Window/Arrange ---> Then make sure "Windows of active workbook" is checked!

PS - How/why this program suddenly set itself to not show active windows I'll never know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back