Adding Text Fields into an Excel Form

DPChristman

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I use an Excel format for my field staff to enter information (assessments, investigations, etc.)
Through a complex combination of macros, formulas, and vlookups, I have the form set up to populate data based on a location and/or employee ID number
This seems to be working well for everyone.
The problem is that these forms also require narrative sections.
I currently have the format configured with large merged cells. The merged cells are top left justified with word wrap.
The issue comes when the users enter their narratives, and the text does not behave as it did when they user MS Word in the past.
They are used to being able to use paragraphs, bullet points, etc.
I have given them a couple of options:
-Write everything in Word, and copy/paste into the text cell.
-Just type and and let the word wrap break the sentence where it wants to.
I know that using a text box is an option. However, our collective boss does not want a lot of empty space on the form, which means having to re-size everything after the fact.
Automatic cell sizing isn't an option because the form uses merged cells in the Narrative area, and merged cells won't auto-size.
The question is this;
Is there a better alternative? Something that combines the word processing options of an MS Word document within the existing excel form?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You don't need to use merged cells. Go to the insert tab/text and insert a text box.
In the properties, you can set "Linked Cell". Use this cell for saving its contents
(can be hidden). Also enable "Enter Key Behavior" for line feeds. You'll need to be
in Design Mode for the textbox. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks. The problem is that the text box increases with the text and overlaps the next rows of cells.

If I create a text box within the cell, I need that cell to increase to match the height of the cell, otherwise other information on the form is covered by the text box.

It is hard to explain, but I can't attach an image of what I am talking about.

Basically the text box has to be able to re-size with the text, but the cell it is in needs to re-size with it.

Also, I am not sure what the 'linked cell' option or "enter key behavior: does, but I don't see that anyway

I do think the text box in the cell is on the right track. i am just not seeing an option to re-size the cell and text box together.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back