PIVOT TABLES- How to count the number of people who answer the same thing for multiple topics-PLEASE HELP ME CRACK IT!

excellearner18

Hi,

I am new(ish) to pivot tables and looking for some help please:

We have had a group of people assess how good they are at a number of activities by rating themselves Red, Amber or Green, and I now want to pull together a single table showing how many red, how many Amber and How many green for each topic (with no details on who chose what).

I can do this the long way-"countif" for each, and I can do it separately for each activity using pivot tables- I can only figure out how to create a separate table for each activity, using the activity as the row, which then breaks it down into Red, Amber, Green. However, if I add more activities, it becomes skewed and moves red, green and ambers around and seems gibberish to me! I have tried lots of versions and can't seem to do it!

I would like to create one table which has the activities as row titles, and Red, Amber, and Green as column titles (with the count of each as the data). Is this possible via one pivot? For the raw data, the row titles are Person 1, Person 2, Person 3 etc (though I have also tried to try it without this column at all), and the column titles are the activities. Is this impossible as Red, Amber and Green are not titles, or is there a way around it?

EG of the type of table:

Activity 1Activity 2Activity 3etc etc
Person 1greengreenredgreen
Person 2redamberamberred
Person 3ambergreengreenamber
person 5greenredredred
etcredredgreengreen
etcgreenambergreenred

<tbody>
</tbody>

Also, bonus question: if there is not a way around it, why cant I use "=", in a different table to simply get the results from the pivot into a single table?

Thanks so much-Help meee!:eek::)

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
My understanding is your base data looks like what you've provided. But you'll need a column header for the first column
Try this:
1. Alt then D then P
2. Select "Multiple Consolidation ranges" then next
3. "Create a single page for me" > Next
3. Select your Data > Next
4. Select where you want your pivot to be. > Finish

5. Move your "Row" Field to the "Values"
6. Mose your "Value" Field to the "Rows Labels"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back