Excel Chart from variable data to ignore zero in 1 column

jonto81

Hi,

I am trying to get data to plot in a chart which is taken from a Vlookup on the date, so only some of the dates have data beside them, others have #N/A (can change this to whatever I want).

My aim is to produce a Bar chart that only shows the dates that have any data - for example my graph I envisage as below:

02/03/15 04/03/15 15/03/15 16/03/15 31/03/15

currently I get every date of the month along the X axis due to my column having each date listed even if the value is zero, can anyone suggest a way to fix this without having to amend the source data?

Thanks

J

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
My tutorial Dynamic Charts explains how to define Names based on whether cells contain numbers, and how to use these Names to create dynamic charts.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have had a look at this and it works for removing blank values from the end, however I also have blank values in the middle of my data set I need removed from the charting:
DateAmount (£)
01/03/16
02/03/16-1298.07
03/03/16
04/03/161491.77
05/03/16-2410.04
06/03/16
07/03/16
08/03/16-742.67
09/03/16-9342.59
10/03/16
11/03/16559.5
12/03/16

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

have you any suggestions?

Upvote 0
What kind of chart? Do you want all dates to appear on the axis, so the spacing is apparent, or do you want only the dates that have a corresponding amount, with spacing independent of elapsed time?

EcJzqbm.png

Upvote 0
Here's your data and a line chart. I've selected the data and pressed Ctrl+T to convert it to a Table, which is a powerful data feature in Excel.

Z05ZWCu.png

Here's how to apply a filter to the data. Click the dropdown on the Amount column header. Click Number Filters, then Custom Filter, then find "does not equal" in the left dropdown of the Custom AutoFilter dialog (I suppose you could have just selected Does Not Equal in the pop-up menu), and keep the second dropdown blank.

CNnvRBD.png

Here's the table and chart with filtered data. Note that rows are hidden. By default, charts do not show data from hidden cells. Note also that charts resize when rows and columns under them are resized, so the chart has shrunk. You need to resize the chart. (You could have formatted the Chart Area of the chart, and changed the Properties so it moves but doesn't resize with cells.)

fgsrDY5.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back