Loading 14m records into Excel via .txt file

fallof89

What would be the best method of loading a .txt file with 14 million records into 1 spreadsheet? Is this possible? If not, what are my best alternative methods that you all would suggest?

Thanks for your help! :)

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
That is a lot of records, and would make quite a big file. What are the records and why has it got to be in a single WorkSheet?

Upvote 0
Work records. So, sounds like I need to have it split between multiple worksheets? What would you suggest.

Upvote 0
How many columns of data per row are you capturing? I mean, technically you can always just split the data among 10 columns (10 * 1.5 mil rows = 15 mil records). I mean, I would still prefer it to be split across multiple sheets or books personally, but that is a way which you can have 14 mil records in one worksheet.

Upvote 0
Work records. So, sounds like I need to have it split between multiple worksheets?
Before you can decide how you are going to put all the records into the WorkBook, you need to decide what you are going to do with the data after it is in there. This will be paramount to how you go about this in the first place.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
There are 9 columns in each row and the records are dated. So, I'm trying to find the best possible solution to break up the records and still have it orderly, perhaps by week. Which still would be about 3-4m records by week. I could even do it by day, but this would be annoying. But what part of 14m records isn't annoying, right? lol

Upvote 0
Would Access not be better for something like this, then you could do whatever you wanted to do with the data?

Upvote 0
To be honest, I haven't used Access before. Would you be willing to give me a few steps on how this is done?

Upvote 0
To be honest, I haven't used Access before. Would you be willing to give me a few steps on how this is done?
Access is not something you want to start using if you are not familiar with it, I didn't know that until you have just mentioned it. If you did want to go down that route then an Access forum would be your best bet.

Anyway, let's see if we can achieve this using Excel first!

As I said above...

Before you can decide how you are going to put all the records into the WorkBook, you need to decide what you are going to do with the data after it is in there. This will be paramount to how you go about this in the first place.

Upvote 0
I would agree, Access is what you should pursue as a minimum. You should ask Access questions in a Access forum. A manual import should suffice.

Of course there is always google. Let me google that for you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back