Conditional Formatting Not Working Consistently for All Affected Cells

Judoman

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Problem: Conditional formatting not working consistently for all cells defined.

Scenario: Need to cover a row with hash marks to blank it out when wrong part number is listed.

Row A37:F37 is covered by blue hashes if X is in A7 and C12 = TT60000678-
Part number in C12 is entered by formula when X is put in A7
To change part number in C12 requires an X in D22 or E22. Formula for this is in C12 .
=IF(AND(OR(D22="X",E22="X"),A7="X"), "TT60003571-",IF(AND(A7="X",(E4<=292)),"TT60000678-",IF(AND(A7="X",E4>=293,E4<=600),"TT60002639-",
IF(AND(A7="X",E4>=701,E4<=730),"TT60000678-",IF(AND(A7="X",E4>=601,E4<=604),"TT60000678-",IF(AND(A7="X",E4>=731),"TT60002639-", ""))))))

Conditional Formatting Formula for adding hash marks in A37:F37 works fine when X is put in E22.
It does not work when X is put in D22

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I'm still working on solving this issue. I can make conditional formatting work for 1 cell but not for 2 cells side by side. I think it should work by using an AND(OR formula. But it does not work.
Here's latest formula I'm trying: =AND(OR($D22<>"X",$E22<>"X"),$A7="X").

Result I get is cells get hash marked like I want when I enter X in A7. But adding another X in D22 or E22 doesn't remove hash marks. Only way to remove hash marks is with X in both D22 and E22.

Do I have the formula written correctly for and(or in conditional formatting?

Is this even possible?

Upvote 0
What I have now is that putting an X in a certain cell covers a row with hash marks. Putting X in another cell does nothing. Both cells are identified correctly in formula. I tried this on a blank excel sheet and it worked. Just can't get it to work on the sheet I need it to work on.

Here's the formula:
=(AND($A7="X",$E$22<>"X",$D$22<>"X"))

X in A7 & E22 causes hash marks to appear. Does not work when I put X in D22. Tried it with a formula for cells in different columns. Only works on cells in Col. E

Upvote 0
Your use of $ signs seems a bit inconsistent. Let me see if I can succinctly describe your needs:

If A7 = X, AND (E22 OR D22 is X) then, cover A37:F37 with hash marks. Is that it? You don't have multiple rows on your sheet with multiple part numbers? If so, try:

Select A37:F37. Click Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > and enter:
=AND($A$7="X",OR($D$22="X",$E$22="X"))
then select your format.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Eric, thanks for your reply. I tried your formula and several variations. I can get them all to work with an X in E22, but not with X in D22. Tried using several other cells/columns for X reference and they don't work either.

I can get formulas to work correctly in a new blank excel worksheet. Must be something hidden in my real form.

Here's current formula I have in new worksheet that works fine:
=AND($A3="X",AND($B$8<>"X",$C$8<>"X"))

Here's same formula in my actual form and it does not work correctly - X in D22 does nothing.
=AND($A7="X",AND($D$22<>"X",$E$22<>"X"))

Any suggestions?:confused:

Upvote 0
=AND($A7="X",AND($D$22<>"X",$E$22<>"X"))
That worked for me. Below, A7 contains X

A​
B​
C​
D​
22​
TRUE​

no x's in row 22 above - formula shows TRUE

1 x below, formula shows FALSE
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
22​
FALSE​
x

Another X in row 22 - still shows FALSE
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
22​
FALSE​
x

2 x's in row 22 - still shows FALSE...
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
22​
FALSE​
xx

You also use this formula...
=AND(COUNTIF(D22:E22,"x")=0,A7="x")

Upvote 0
Ford,

So why won't the good formula work in my real order form?

Could not get your countif formula to work. Best it did was hash marks in 1 of 4 cells I'm trying to cover with hash marks. Even then it worked some times but not always in my real order form. It did work on the 1 cell consistently in a blank new worksheet.

Upvote 0
OK how are you applying hash marks to cells? CF normally just changes a cell's formatting (color, bold, font etc)

What is the Applies To range that you are using, does it cover those cells you say are not working?

Upvote 0
Hash marks are done in CF by selecting a color and then a pattern. Cells will accept hashmarking OK. Here's how things are supposed to work: Putting X in A7 adds hash marks. This works. Then an X in either D22 or E22 should remove hash marks. This Only works for E22. X in D22 never works - no matter what formula I try.

So the problem is why won't the formula work for D22 but it works OK for E22.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back